aftertouch

Forum for the JD-XA.
mpraet

aftertouch

Post by mpraet »

Hello,

I want to control the cutoff with the aftertouch how do I do this ?
And can I control with the aftertouch also the modulation matrix ?
If yeas how do I do this ?

Thanks for helping
christof1971

Re: aftertouch

Post by christof1971 »

Hi,

You can do this through the matrix controls see pages 5 and 6 of the parameter guide a link to it is below.

http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/ ... _e01_W.pdf

I have been playing around with this and still trying to get my head around it :)

Chris
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

/old thread revived alert ...

Is aftertouch working pretty well for everyone? I find, while I can program it - I REALLY have to mash down the keys for aftertouch to register from my 'XA, and be usable while playing?? I've tried a few settings.. but it's just nowhere near as usable as I expect. I have / use aftertouch on a couple of controllers, and they are infinitely easier to use. Notably, my Arturia Analog Experience Laboratory has wonderful aftertouch action. Each key is spring-loaded, and clearly has a mechanism below the keys to sense pressure, and respond. My Axiom Pro also has better aftertouch, but not as sensitive or controllable as the Arturia. Anyway - these keyboards definitely have sensors / mechanisms built under the keybed to sense aftertouch.

On my JD-XA.. I don't feel it. It more feels like I am mashing metal against metal, to get any aftertouch to register, and it takes a LOT of pressure to do so? Does it work like that for everyone? Am i missing a setting which makes it easier? Do I have a defective unit? Like I said, it works... but I am going to develop muscles in my fingers that are unnatural, if I have to keep up this mashing. :)

Any comments would be way appreciated... Thanks!

Joe
MartinE

Post by MartinE »

I'm fairly new to real hardware synths, having mainly used an M-Audio Axiom keyboard and Logic before. So I don't have deep knowledge, but for what it's worth, here's what I found:

* That I have to apply substantial pressure to get aftertouch to register on the JD-XA. The Axiom is somewhat lighter to the touch (I checked the thresholds with a MIDI monitor program)

* The JD-XA keybed doesn't flex nearly as much as the Axiom; it's much more firm

* But: The JD-XA is far more precise; I can reliably modulate the aftertouch in deltas of 1, but the Axiom is hit-and-miss 1-2-3-4 steps

All in all I prefer the JD-XA due to the precision, but if I had only slightly weaker hands and fingers, I think I'd wreck them if I used aftertouch all the time.
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

Thanks for the reply. It helps. I'll stick with it then..

Joe
blewis_13

Post by blewis_13 »

The JD-XA has the stiffest aftertouch I've ever experience on any keyboard I've ever own. Hand hurting level of stiffness. Menu sensitivity set to the recommended max of 100. Already checked it.

It's the polar opposite of the DSI Pro2 that triggers aftertouch if you breathe too hard.
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

Thanks blewis_13. Another datapoint, great to know. I can get aftertouch to register, but like you guys.. have to really give it a lot of pressure. Maybe it will loosen up after some month... or my fingers will adjust, and build up muscle. :)
zombietactics

Post by zombietactics »

For me, it's part of the character of the instrument. It's a stiff action, so far as aftertouch goes. Otherwise it's a excellent/fast synth keybed.
MartinE

Post by MartinE »

By the way: The white keys appear most sensitive to pressure in the area near the tip of the black neighbor key, if you get what I mean, and the black keys most sensitive around the tip of the key. So that's probably where the string of pressure sensors are mounted across the width of the keyboard, I guess.

Try applying constant pressure and slide your finger up and down the length of the white key, and you'll hear the difference. This helps me a bit, effort-wise; I would normally play a bit further down the white keys, and a slight bit further up on the black.