Filter Test

Forum for the JD-XA.
goldphinga

Filter Test

Post by goldphinga »

Hey guys, just wondering if you could test something for me.

1.Make an init patch
2.Select saw on osc 1 and turn up to full in the mixer (make sure osc 2 is turned off)
3.Choose LPF1 and open the filter cutoff fully with no resonance
4.Turn the filter cutoff slowly from fully open to just near closed and play some low notes on the keyboard. In particular keep testing those low notes (lowest 2 octaves) with the filter about one quarter open or maybe slightly less.
5. Repeat with the other waves and note your findings, report back to base!

Do you hear just the wave with silence surrounding it on the lower notes or some sort of noise layered along with it on those low notes?

Note: Best to test on headphones
Thanks!
JDsb7

Re: Filter Test

Post by JDsb7 »

Aside from some filter click I can hear a bit of background noise on just the lowest notes of the keyboard.
Hear it with sine and triangle waveforms too.
Very quiet relative to the filtered waveform but yes there is a bit of something arriving in the signal chain.
Bit of digital crosstalk perhaps.. remember it is a "crossover synth.... :-)

Clean enough not to bug me.
goldphinga

Post by goldphinga »

Thanks for checking, my new one had rather a lot of noise compared to the raw wave signal on all the waveshapes and filter types in analogue mode, so I've sent it back for exchange, I guess mine was particularly analogue!! New one coming tomorrow, will report back, hope the replacement is quieter. There's always going to be some noise in the path on analogue but this was almost like white noise, rather than some background hiss. It also altered when I turned the panel LED's on and off! Glad to say Roland and the retailer have been extremely helpful in making sure I get a speedy replacement. Back soon...
JDsb7

Post by JDsb7 »

It will be interesting to see if it is any different.
Difficult to describe the noise ratio but I hadn't noticed it until prompted to listen. There is plenty of noise generated by some effects and regrettably it isn't a perfect world. I used to be terribly pedantic - now not so much, listening to the overall sound rather than the anomalies within.
The very fact that panel lights were effecting it does suggest some crosstalk.
SynthGraphics

Post by SynthGraphics »

JDsb7 wrote:It will be interesting to see if it is any different.
Difficult to describe the noise ratio but I hadn't noticed it until prompted to listen. There is plenty of noise generated by some effects and regrettably it isn't a perfect world. I used to be terribly pedantic - now not so much, listening to the overall sound rather than the anomalies within.
The very fact that panel lights were effecting it does suggest some crosstalk.
Welcome to true Analog! ;) All my old Prophets, Jupiters, etc, all have weird quirks and are by no means perfect when doing tests like these. My current SH-2 will also display some wierdness.

But that might be crosstalk - it does have a VCA mix of all parts at some point.
hermanis922

Post by hermanis922 »

I don't hear any noises, listened on Adam A5x maybe I have shitty ears, but everything sounds perfect :)