JDXA strange librarian

Forum for the JD-XA.
Redrain68

JDXA strange librarian

Post by Redrain68 »

what is the use of the librarian ?

- it's very very slow it thake 15 minutes to load 256 patch !! vitus TI control load 1024 patch in 15 seconds....

- it can not see the USB key connnected to the JDXA, so you can not copy sound from and to USB key

- for me the Axial download function fo not work, for all the libraries it display : "Cannot read files of this type"

- It can't read *.SVD or é.SVQ files (the JDXA patch) "SVD files that were created by the JD-XA cannot be opened by JD-XA Librarian. JD-XA data can be handled as an XAL file.", very usefull !!
JDsb7

Re: JDXA strange librarian

Post by JDsb7 »

well at least you got something after albeit quite a long time!
I am getting nothing - "Reading user program 001".... indefinitely...

Glad they corrected a few bugs tho - had noticed centre detent not = zero
windsmuse

Post by windsmuse »

Just wondering, did you update the JDXA system program to 1.10 before using the librarian?
cello

Post by cello »

You have to update to OS v1.10 before using the librarian otherwise it will not work.

My downloading of the data was less than 15 minutes - about 10 I'd say (wasn't measuring it closely). Whilst I can understand this seems a long time and could be an issue for some, it's not really an issue for me - I just got on with something else whilst it was working in the background.
SynthGraphics

Post by SynthGraphics »

I updated to 1.10 and downloaded the librarian, and would agree it's pretty crude. Takes forever to get sounds from the JD-XA - actually freezes up 50% of the time and I have to start over. Seems only the Integra-7 sounds will load. And I was completely blown away that they released a librarian that would read it's own format, WOW.

Hopefully they will get a newer, better version up soon. But I guess it's better than nothing at this point.
F5D

Post by F5D »

I have not even tried, and will never try the librarian. Copying sounds between the synth and a computer must be working on fundamental level, either by sysex transfer or by directly copying with USB. One day the librarian will stop working due to OS updates etc. I wish Roland would first implement a proper bank copy function between the internal and usb memory. That is a fundamental feature that should exist, and it will keep working, no matter what OS updates come to your computer. JD-XA is hardware. I see no sense mixing its features with a computer software. Basic hardware level functions must be implemented first. Then, it is ok, if there is some librarian for those who like to control things from a computer, as long as it may keep working...
F5D

Post by F5D »

Just found a perfect example of why Roland or any other company should NOT use any librarian software for organising patches. Somebody at GS reported that he faced a problem copying SH-201 sounds, because the library software is too old to start in his new OS: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... o-new.html

Roland, please note! Allow sysex-dumps in all your synths, it just works!
solitud

Post by solitud »

I have developed an SysEx Librarian which works in the web browser.
It supports already Roland JD 800 and JV 80 and other synths.
I am thinking about adding support for the JD-XA but cannot find any info about the required Sysex Receive messages.
Has someone an idea where I can get the SysEx implementation?

The librarian is called LASER Mammoth and you can find it here, if someone is curious:
https://f0f7.net
jerry_merry

Post by jerry_merry »

You can download the Midi spec from the Roland website.
JD Knight

Post by JD Knight »

+1 for the LASER MAMMOTH librerian

you would love it, if you could use it for the JD-XA

basically, you can open a bank, send single patches to the JD-XA's buffer to listen to it and decide if you like it, then drag&drop this single patch out of bank xy into a new, for exammple blank bank, in which you collect some lead favorites.

or you create a bank "my axial favs" or whatever.

it is so elegant and easy to use, so ROLAND, please support solitud here, it's a good thing and your own, the ROLAND librerian is kinda limited compared to this.

i am sure, a good librerian would make the JD-XA more attractive...

thank you!
solitud

Post by solitud »

Thanks guys,
I have downloaded the SysEx implementation from Roland (somehow this was not on my mind, duh).
While they explain how to transfer values via SysEx for the Edit Buffer, I cannot find the address ranges for the storage.
That's odd, and I guess they hide it on purpose for whatever reasons, because it is well documented on JD800 and JV80.
I will write Roland an email and see what happens/ if they care..