More analog synths from Roland in the future?

Forum for the JD-XA.
LoboLives

More analog synths from Roland in the future?

Post by LoboLives »

I'm a huge analog synth fan and with the popularity of Dave Smith Instruments as of the past two years and with Korg getting their foot back in the door with their analog gear do you think we'll see more of an analog resurgence with Roland? I know they brought back the System 500 and the JD-XA is a pretty decent analog/digital hybrid ( a few qualms I have but I won't go into them) but do you think it's possible they will bring a complete, full sized, polyphonic analog synth in the future or do you think the JD-XA is going to be as good as it gets?
goldphinga

Re: More analog synths from Roland in the future?

Post by goldphinga »

I'd rather have the XA than any new pure analogue. Unless it was an 8 voice analogue with the XA digital engine. Otherwise XA all the way! But they'll probably put 2 XA analogue boards in one unit at some point to make a new SUPER JDX or something.
LoboLives

Post by LoboLives »

goldphinga wrote:I'd rather have the XA than any new pure analogue. Unless it was an 8 voice analogue with the XA digital engine. Otherwise XA all the way! But they'll probably put 2 XA analogue boards in one unit at some point to make a new SUPER JDX or something.
While I do appreciate the XA, the design itself can definitely be improved and I find there's a lot of menu diving involved. Plus a 4 octave synth is really cramped when doing splits. I can understand the Prophet 6 or OB6 having 5 octaves since there's no split capabilities but the JD-XA seems silly to have 4 octaves.

I just think there was a lot more that Roland could have done with the XA, especially for that price point.
JDBoy

Post by JDBoy »

goldphinga wrote:I'd rather have the XA than any new pure analogue. Unless it was an 8 voice analogue with the XA digital engine. Otherwise XA all the way! But they'll probably put 2 XA analogue boards in one unit at some point to make a new SUPER JDX or something.
Same here, I love the Xa for what is and what it does. I think it's tremendously capable and wide ranging synth, in terms of actual features it's already good value for money compared to the DSI stuff. So it has a plastic case and a 4 octave keybed? I've actually come to like that, even as someone who's only ever owned mostly metal synths inc past Roland Flagships (V-Synth, JD-800, D-50 etc). I love pretty much everything about the Xa as it is, quirks and all. It's my favourite synth of many, many synths I've had the pleasure of using/owning.

Anyway to the OP question, possibly. I think they may still wish to re-cash in on the Jupiter name properly, an 8 voice analog, more pure than Xa, and perhaps it'll be in a metal case and with more octaves but if the trends are anything to go by and costs are a thing to consider I could see it again being 4 octaves. This is no longer a deal breaker for me as I thought it would be. I work around it. If I need more for some reason I can find a 5 octave synth/keyboard/midi controller anywhere cheap as chips. I love that with Xa it's light, but very sturdy, looks great, and the keybed plays nicely considering it's not top of the range keys, and that I can take it anywhere to program with less hassle, weight or size.

Before I had Xa I would have said "sign me up for a 6-8 voice pure analog jupiter" but now I'm not so sure, I really like what the Xa is doing, best of both worlds, and as someone who's always had a mix of analog and digital synths, to get that in one synth has been a blast, and very productive and inspiring.

So I'm not sure I'd spend even more cash on just a poly analog now after having my eyes opened by the strange power of the Xa concept.

BTW the menu diving is a complete non issue for me, I got used to that fast and I can program many complex sounds. I can't see how they could have added that power without making the synth twice the size and a lot more expensive without delegating certain things to the menu. I find the menu system very to the point, not half as annoying as old digitals (D-50 etc) and less distracting than having a giant/touch screen on board. It reminds me of an old analog / digital and that is why I find it so cool, that it has all this sound power but doesn't look like a modern workstation or rompler with a giant screen.

Also I never use splits so that may be why I'm ok with 4 octaves. I've never wanted to use splits on any synth I had because I'm more studio based not live, and I have no problem calling up sounds as I need them to record. I'd also rather dedicate the full keyboard to whatever sound it's currently making (the same reason I'm not into multitibrality since the 90s era when I had one rack synth pumping everything out via midi because we didn't have masses of 'free' DAW tracks)