Re: OS update coming soon?

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

So, the jd-xi gets its 1.5 update and gets:

Interactive Chord function
Transpose function
Shuffle function
Side Chain Compressor function
Startup Program function

vs our jd-xa 1.5 upgrade where we basically got the presets changed to the same ones we could already download from axial.

It feels like Roland keeps rubbing salt in the wound.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

My thinking is that the JD-XA must have been designed to it's limit (hardware and software wise) but the JD-Xi was probably built using the same chips as the JD-XA or some other higher end synth (Jupiter maybe?), and because it's doing less originally it has more room for expansion of physical capabilities?

I'd also hazard a guess that the JD-Xi makes Roland more money (although it's cheaper I'd guess they are selling way more units) so they support it more to keep sales high.
OneOfManyPauls

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

I'd be surprised if that was the case given the jd-xi has twice the polyphony of the jd-xa for its supernatural synth engine.

fwiw, here's a look at the main processing parts of the digital part circuit boards of the jd-xi and jd-xa:

jd-xi: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11035772-post2386.html

jd-xa: https://youtu.be/590U66Lq_to?t=7m14s
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Hmmmm, that is weird, because they both have the SSC chip... Must be other gubbinz around that does it... or they are just being stingey.

More guessing... there are already quite a few big artists who are using the JD-XA's live, and Roland would maybe be asking them for opinions on functionality rather than us lowly peons. Do no Roland guys float around these forums to give us informal hints as to whats going on (I know they can't say much, and that all the update programming goes on in Japan)?
JD Knight

Post by JD Knight »

OneOfManyPauls wrote:So, the jd-xi gets its 1.5 update and gets:

Interactive Chord function
Transpose function
Shuffle function
Side Chain Compressor function
Startup Program function

vs our jd-xa 1.5 upgrade where we basically got the presets changed to the same ones we could already download from axial.

It feels like Roland keeps rubbing salt in the wound.

thank you ROLAND we JD-XA users feel treated so well...
tomkitel

Post by tomkitel »

Mhhmm... my gut feeling is telling me that they will give up the JD-XA more sooner than later....looking forward to it's final clearing price. B-stock instruments (there are many available) can already be had for less than 1500 bucks.
JD Knight

Post by JD Knight »

i don't think so, but still....
Coorec

Post by Coorec »

JD Knight wrote:there were rumours about a 2.0 OS

any news / confirmation about this?
I am starting to get afraid there wont be much love coming for the synth anymore too.

Would be very nice if Roland kept people informed about their plans. Is anyone of the developers even reading this?
glynbo

Post by glynbo »

Hi all, has anybody seen or heard of any new updates/editor news. Cheers Glyn.