OS update coming soon?

Forum for the JD-XA.
OneOfManyPauls

Re: OS update coming soon?

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

I think that is Roland's code name for vs 1.5 "Damp Squib"
I'd have loved to be in on the meeting where they came up with the project name. I can visualise the shortlist:

Project Preset
Project Meh
Project "Create Rumors - Add Presets"

Then some genius said "we've done the white jd-xa thing to death, let's throw in video of a jd-xa with a matte finish to divert attention from the lack of any new features. That should keep them good for a another year."
JD Knight

Post by JD Knight »

i think it's great that they are working on updates.
I'm sure there is more to come.

could understand the sarcasm and negativity if there are no news
but all the free Axial soundbanks, now a small update at least and the overlay and new patches

why not stay positive, use the JD-XA and look forward ?
thats why i like to put this synth in a good light for new potential users

(sorry as alwys for my bad english :)
HaveIt

Post by HaveIt »

I truly love my JD-XA but OMG those patches are exactly what I never want to hear.

The JD-XA is best tried with blank patches. The controls for both digital and analog synths are smooth, it only takes a few moments to program a basic sound then tweak it from there. You can learn from presets, modify part of one and make it your own. In fact, turn off parts! I'm not a fan of the 'hybrid' analog and digital parts together, I prefer the individual sweet spots of a mono analog or digital poly pad. Its a beautiful synth and presets don't do it justice.

B
OneOfManyPauls

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

JD Knight wrote:could understand the sarcasm and negativity if there are no news
but all the free Axial soundbanks, now a small update at least and the overlay and new patches

why not stay positive, use the JD-XA and look forward ?
thats why i like to put this synth in a good light for new potential users
The jd-xa has been out for some time now and we still have a librarian that looks like it was coded in the last century, no editor, and no new features of any real use.

When we finally get a new OS, it's basically a bit of a joke - which shows just how much attention they've actually been paying to jd-xa development.

All they seem to do is release presets for it - and most of them have been pretty naff, again giving the impression that it's just about being seen to continue to support the jd-xa at minimum cost, rather than actually contributing much to the owner experience.

That said, the jd-xa is a great and under-rated synth - but I don't think we should be letting Roland off the hook for their lack of real attention on this product.
Redrain68

Post by Redrain68 »

256 new patches? I have my own patch and I need only new firmware, what happen to my patch if I update?

2) copy program function? It's a like save a program in a new location...maybe I miss something...
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Redrain68 wrote:256 new patches? I have my own patch and I need only new firmware, what happen to my patch if I update?

2) copy program function? It's a like save a program in a new location...maybe I miss something...
I'm with you, I am not going to upgrade until I know it won't erase or replace the patches I have spent hours creating?
goldphinga

Post by goldphinga »

there are 256 preset spaces on board.
all will be overwritten with the new 256 presets from the 1.50 update.

so, you must backup the entire memory to USB stick, update to 1.50 then load your backup back to the JDXA.
christof1971

Post by christof1971 »

It says that when you upgrade to OS 1.50 you have to do a factory reset to get the 256 patches

But obviously do back up to make sure you don't loose what you've already created

Check the 1.50 document
http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/ ... _e01_W.pdf
Redrain68

Post by Redrain68 »

Thank you! Now I only must understand the utility of the copy program function...
glynbo

Post by glynbo »

Like the new presets, like the new look better (hope it is a future hardware upgrade) and my stored sounds on my USB Stick are all intact. Just need a update for the sequencer and an editor and I will be happy. Cheers Glyn.
Redrain68

Post by Redrain68 »

I like the arpegiator work like the arpegiator of all other synth....

And a new unison mode that work like....all other synth....
JPWC

Post by JPWC »

here a spreadsheet of file names for the OS 1.50 update 2016-07-02
Attachments
JDXA Programs 1.50.xlsx
file name list for OS 1.50
(80.18 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
OneOfManyPauls

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

Thanks for posting that JPWC - I was just about to do a heap of screen-grab copy and pasting to make my own, but yours is far more useful.
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

Found the new Copy Program function to be a step in the right direction, but for previewing the 256 new 1.5 version programs... a non-starter. Frankly... most (all?) are on the Axial site anyway. But I was curious. I wanted to be able to trial the 256 new factory programs. I also wanted to see if I wanted to replace my factory programs with these new ones, while not losing my favorites, or self-created programs

Doing this, turned out to be pretty easy. And - probably obvious to most folks, but just in case -- here is what worked for me:
  • Did a Backup of my JDXA, and copied it to my Mac harddrive.
  • Downloaded the 1.5 update and docs
  • Followed the directions http://www.roland.com/support/by_produc ... ers/352012 for applying the update.
  • Did a "Reset" which replaced all the banks on my FA with the new 1.5 factory banks (Note: You better have a good backup before doing this :)
At this point, all the factory banks were loaded on my JDXA, and I could try them out, and note which ones I wanted to keep. Big thanks to JPWC for posting the spreadsheet with all the new factory banks! This helped. Truth is.. there were only a handful of the new patches I wanted. So I:
  • Did a "Restore" from the backup I did in the beginning. At this point: I have the original JDXA factory set, my original programs, favorites, etc. And... the 1.5 OS.
  • I pulled out the spreadsheet, which I had marked the few new programs I wanted.. and used the (almost handy) new "Copy Program" feature of 1.5 to move the new programs into my free banks (Note: There has to be an easier way of selecting which destination you want! I had to arrow through, to the end banks? Hitting a bank button while using this new function dropped me out of it??
Sorry for the long-winded post. The new factory patches turn out to be already on the Axial site. The new "Copy Program" function, is definitely a step in the right direction. What would have helped me... is a copy Program from Backup feature. I would have prefered this, to restoring my whole JDXA from the backup.
HaveIt

Post by HaveIt »

6 of the axial patches have stayed in my XA, the rest are not interesting to me. Some of the seqs demonstrating programs are very embarrassing to Roland.