OS update coming soon?

Forum for the JD-XA.
JD Knight

Re: OS update coming soon?

Post by JD Knight »

Funny, cause i think, there is no other "groovebox" that can give you the same "authentic" & "all in one box" Italo, (Neo)Disco, (dark)Wave), 80s, Electro and what else.

I think it's a fantastic groovebox & sequencer.

That#s why i miss a few elemental small fixes so much.
OneOfManyPauls

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

I think it's a fantastic groovebox & sequencer.
my head hurts.
JD Knight

Post by JD Knight »

Then just be happy with what you've got and your workflow (external sequencer).
Headache gone.
JDBoy

Post by JDBoy »

FWIW I have no bad problems with 1.50 for those that are holding off updating. That's not to say the OS can't get BETTER with OS2 and add more features or w/e but I'm honestly quite happy with how it is at the time, even with the couple of bugs that affect me personally they are not deal breakers.

I use the sequencer more for ideas, sketches, sometimes riffs that I'll later sync up to the DAW's clock then record in etc (though I mostly play with my hands when recording synths unless it's some seq part that needs that rock solid groove), so for me the seq I see as a bonus, not as some sub-par thing like others see it, I probably would never make use of an even more convoluted/advanced seq as I don't run loads of outboard gear triggering each other, I just play my synths into the DAW, midi them from the daw if I need to etc. For what it is I find the SEQ very useful and far more fun to use than my previous step, or real time, sequencers on synths I've owned (i.e moog sub 37).

Anyway, I can see why others want fixes and improvements. I did often wonder if the reason the XA sequencer is, in some areas, not as fluid/featured as the Xi's is simply due to the amount of behind the scenes stuff it does vs the Xi, inc all the 8 int/ext tracks of parameter/note sequencing as well as much more audio parts being played (esp the 4 analog parts), maybe switching patches/sequences on the fly without it stopping, while possible, was quite a challenge when it first came out (compared to the much simpler Xi). I guess it could get quite glitchy with so much going on.

So, I take the XA for what it is, for what it was when I bought it, not for what it isn't. I don't care how much 'better' the Xi sequencer is, no amount of that will make it anything like the synth the XA is. I bought the XA as a synth primarily, not an oversized groove box :)

- 1.50 is fine to update to for my needs. I didn't restore any presets to get new sounds as frankly the entire load of patches from Roland are just crap. My synth is stuffed with custom sounds, all 256 slots and 1 and half USB sticks (and counting). I just can't stop making new sounds, ideas, seq/riffs etc with this machine!! Sounds great, works great and thats all I asked for when I bought it.

oh the timing bug on the slicer (when it goes out of step/time/sync) is about the only thing that affects me in daily use at this time (but that bug has been there since day one and still not fixed!)
Mat

Post by Mat »

Hi,
my name is Mat. I'm new to the forum and JD-XA owner.
I think the new system upgrade should include a completely different routing structure of the MFX section.
Instead of limiting to one MFX for each part, Roland should add more routing options like:
- up to 4 MFX for all the four parts simoultaneously with the possibility to control the right amount (like a send fx) of each MFX for each part. I mean, it's just a matter of routing, the number of MFX used would be the same
I remember the old JD-800 and JD-990 were both able to add up to four insert fx to the four layers (Tones/partials) simoultaneously plus three master fx.
- I think it's nonsense that if you want (for example) the same distortion on part 1 and part 2 on the JDXA, you have to load it twice (one distortion MFX for each part) which is in any case a completely different thing, even if you set both distortions with the same value/settings.
- about TFX: since reverbs and delays usually go to the end of the fx chain, why not include more option to these two in the TFX? For example: there is no multitap or stereo panning delay on MFX, more reverb types/parameters. There are a lot of these in the MFX (which are pretty unuseful to me there) and a poor variety (just one) in the TFX. It would be great to have these ones of the MFX in the TFX section.
Just my two cents.
cello

Post by cello »

Great first post Mat

Welcome to the Clan :)
JDBoy

Post by JDBoy »

If anyone has any sway/contact/direct feedback possible to Roland (cello?) then, further to my comment about the buried parameter to change remote/slave/int clock for midi (seq/fx) where I said holding SHIFT + TAP would be ideal to bring that menu up (and cycle with button presses of tap), I think they should just allow instead a menu option to CHOOSE what the tap button does (without having to hold shift particularly!).

I never use tap tempo, and it struck me how my XA is sset up in my studio to the left of my DAW / desk / faderport remote etc, that I can just reach out and hit the tap button, this would be great if they would allow you to set "Tap button = normal/syncmode" so if you choose in the global menu options, then you can allow just ONE finger press on tap to cycle between remote/int/slave sync - otherwise I'd have to keep getting out of position just to go press shift with the other hand.

Yes, first world problems eh? but this seems a missed oppo and that tap button is crying out to be used for 'tempo' related stuff like that and as it's such a useful synth to sync up to a DAW (but then won't play itself without changing back to master/int when you want to either stop it from triggering from DAW playback - once you've recorded the part - or to work on another sound/seq on board the XA) that it really could do with that instant button press to cycle remote/master/slave. This one thing alone in OS2 would make the XA even more of a dream synth for me. :)

oh and LFO light shoudl have an option to flash in time with the LFO (1/2/mod) the one around the speed knob would be ideal.

And ability to set dimming levels for the LEDS as on the new System 8, even just a 'half bright' option would suffice, then I could leave them all on more often but not get a headache from the glare!
JD Knight

Post by JD Knight »

@ mat & jdboy

some good ideas !
goldphinga

Post by goldphinga »

There's a lot of refining that needs doing to the XA OS.

A few things that bug me.

1. Theres a bug in the analogue section where if you hold a drone note in the bass and move around a 3 note chord played legato in your right hand the bass note cuts out, however it only does this if you play legato, if you hold the drone bass note and lift off whilst changing chords in the right, the bass note remains. Try it!

2. Roland say that sequencer transpose is very processor hungry and therefore thats why it hasnt been implemented yet, however there is the 'masterkeysft' parameter that i already mentioned in another thread that will transpose the sequencer but leave drums at the correct pitch, it works smoothly too with complex sequences! All that needs to be done is that they connect the keyboard to this parameter, surely thats not too difficult to do.

3. i would suggest the tempo knob or portamento control as data entry dials, this mode could be selected in the menu.

4. I'd like to see a detailed step edit mode so each step could be edited deeply and also the parameter locking could be improved so that you just hold a step, turn a dial and that parameter is locked. As it stands you have to tweak the steps before and after to enable the correct value on any step.

5. theres a bug when using real time record where you cant access some of the other record parameters, cant remember which will have to check think it was the count in/click menu.

6. id love a reverb for the MFX section

Im sure theres more, will have to report back
prophonic

Post by prophonic »

1. sequencer transpose via keyboard
2. sequencer first step/last step per track
3. key trig of arp quantized (starts in sync with seq)
blewis_13

Post by blewis_13 »

Key trigger of sequencer start/reset. A must have even if it doesn't transpose. Having to hit "Start" in rapid fire video game style to resync is dumb.

Not being able to resync the sequencer with key press betrays its use as a mod sequencer as well.

Can't believe they haven't addressed this yet.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Sequencer transpose is on the JD-XA, however they weirdly put it into the arpeggiator instead... You can program the arp up to 32 or 64 steps or something, and once you have that you can trigger it with 1 key press and transpose it with 1 key. However for me the limitation is that the JD-XA only has 1 arpeggiator, so I can't have 1 doing my complex 32 note arp sequence with another doing a straight plod. Well... you can but you have to time up the LFO to a 16th note timing and making it cut in and out straight to sound like du-u-u-u-u-u rather than duuuuuuuuuuu. It's an awkward workaround, but from chatting with Roland engineers it seems the XA doesn't have the beef to pull off more than 1 arp at a time.

As for the actual sequencer, it's options and implementation is disappointing for a flagship synth. I ended out buying a FA-06 to sequence the XA properly.
goldphinga

Post by goldphinga »

Use 'masterkeysft' to transpose the sequencer. Easy.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Bit of a poor get-around... it screws you over on everything else you play as you have to adapt your playing to the shifted keybed.
prophonic

Post by prophonic »

for software update:
- envelopes should be sources for the modulation matrix, at least pitch envelope.
- switching sequences while keeping the sounds from before. This would not tax the processor much.