OS update coming soon?

Forum for the JD-XA.
JD Knight

Re: OS update coming soon?

Post by JD Knight »

Please ROLAND give us a better sequencer and make it 16 bars too.

Also it would be great to be able to store different MIDI CONTROL settings per patch/pattern
zombietactics

Post by zombietactics »

JD Knight wrote:Please ROLAND give us a better sequencer and make it 16 bars too.
Yep, its ridiculous that the "flagship" has a less capable sequencer than that it baby brother, the JD-Xi.
JD Knight wrote:Also it would be great to be able to store different MIDI CONTROL settings per patch/pattern

I find that this limitation can be partly overcome, depending upon what you are controlling. Nonetheless, it's really a no-brainer that MIDI-Control should have been more fully featured in thsi respect. If there is no memory on board, it could certainly be implemented with USB storage.
JDBoy

Post by JDBoy »

I admit I'm not a fan of any of the presets, or any of the released Roland sounds for it. They all border on insipid/weak and make the synth sound, frankly, crap next to other analogs or great digitals (like V-Synth).

Thankfully I, and most of us here I guess, know how to program synths and in no time at all we can have the JD-XA sounding amazing. Why Roland can't do that is anyone's guess.

I think If Roland really wanted to stuff it with 256 presets it should have opened it to the users, for us all to submit say our ten best patches that were then voted on by users (and Roland) to be included. That way new JD-XAs and later FW (OS 2! hint hint) would come with presets that finally do the JD-XA justice.

For me the only use of the presets was in one or two cases using them as a starting point (the more advanced ones) but changing things up, it's not hard to get the JD-XA sounding more analog or more awesome digital than Roland are able to, with a few small changes here and there (often the FX are overdone which drowns them out or they choose digital part to do an analog job and vice versa and it doesn't sound as good as it could)

The new panels from Roland, I'm honestly ok with the gloss, if you keep it clean it looks great imo probably more expensive and eye catching than a matte finish but I can see why some still want the covers. If Roland sell them cheap to used owners (not all of us are first owners) then would be worth grabbing a set for the future if/when the plastic gets too worn. For now I keep it clean/covered and it looks as good as new almost. I'm not a fan of the white text on the new covers, it's over-busy, I like how the red text blends away currently because I simply don't need to read it, nor does anyone after a few weeks if they know synths. It's all pretty obvious what the knobs/buttons do before long so I prefer to just mostly see the knobs, buttons, sliders and the gloss than see a load of white text staring at me, esp as it all ties in with the red lighting.

If Roland could also make a version with red text, identical to the current look but matte, that may interest a few people too. And depending on how strongly they stuck the original panels on, they could make replacement panels isntead of stick on covers so that everything is still flush/perfect. They are just stuck on the outside at the moment anyway, the original plastic gloss panels, question is how strongly? you could maybe peel them off and fit new ones. Wonder how much the panels cost (original ones) as if they were cheap enough I'd also be interested in spares of those instead of the matte covers.

Another idea, a full panel (not stick on covers over the top of originals) aluminium replacements, black metal like the two metal bars on it exact same look, with screen printed legends. Now THAT would be a massive upgrade! The entire upper panel would then feel metal to the touch just like the JD-800 control panel! It's not even hard to make these (for Roland) and you only need to prize off the old ones (bin them) and stick the new METAL panels in place. Of course maybe they could also offer a metal underside and end caps upgrade too ;)

If anyone out there is good with metal, rather than stick on lexan, there's a nice project for you! Custom synth (Jeff) and people like him would have no problem printing them but not sure they can cut them. That would be something I'd be all over, it would retain the expensive look of the original but improve it compared to lexan stick ons, feel better to the touch etc.

Would be more interested in a mod/shielding to reduce the noise in the engine at times sounds like the analog engine picking up noise from the digital controls (not enough internal shielding from control panel? inherent flaw of the circuitry? ) I only here it now and then but would be nice to not have it at all (it's not the more obvious known flaw that was fixed in early units with the Roland mod as far as I know) just a very subtle noise, now and then, on certain patches.
JD Knight

Post by JD Knight »

don't want to be rude, but this thread is about the OS,
maybe you won't get the answers here you are expecting.

no offense!
JDBoy

Post by JDBoy »

None taken, cos I'll be honest I have NO idea wtf my post is doing in this thread either lol. Completely off topic. I think I meant to post it in another thread I had open in a tab and... user error.
johnstimley

Post by johnstimley »

Hi All,
New user here, just took delivery of my new JD-XA yesterday.
Your combined comments will cause me to stick with v. 1.10 for now as I have already downloaded the Axial presets for my USB stick. (I am using the JDXA with Aira MX-1, which is great to be able to sync up so effortlessly).
ATB JS.
JDBoy

Post by JDBoy »

Running 1.50 fine here!
JD Knight

Post by JD Knight »

with all the new ROland gear going to be announced Sep9, at least we know WHY
we don't get an OS update. At least this.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

1.50 is absolutely fine. Just don't do the factory reset and keep it with the sounds it came with (the new ones are naff). I foolishly decided to see what they sounded like, now I have to use the Librarian tool to put my old tones back on and clear out most of the junk (I preferred having a load of free Init Tracks!)
JD Knight

Post by JD Knight »

For me and many others it is not fine.

Pattern switching / chaining
Midi Kontrol mapping per patch
at least 8 bars ( MC 303 had more 20 years ago)
different track length

i would love to use the jd-xa for external gear without stopping after each pattern

ROLAND , 30 new products, but no new JS-XA OS -- seriously ???
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

But the way you are putting it makes it sound like a downgrade. It's still an upgrade in terms of what was in there - you're obviously just peeved they didn't include what you wanted! And each to their own - I want a seperate arp for each of the parts (but I know that's a hardware limitation).
JD Knight

Post by JD Knight »

i hoenstly don't think

a) on such a quite pricey synth
b) with many years of ROLANDS experience and history

my "extra-wishes" would be any entitlement-thinking.

In company history, hey HAD more bars, the HAD pattern chaining,
they HAD the ability to change patterns without stopping the sequencer
and they also don't live on the moon.

To have to beg for this is nothing but unbelievable. And i think i also helped Roland / the JD-XA as good as i can with posting patches and everything. I just says this to show again i DO like the JD-XA.

In fact ROLANDS OS update policy (and throwing out now 30 new isntruments) seems pretty "we don't care about the JD-XA anymore" to me.

So please no "entitlement" arguments ;)
OneOfManyPauls

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

Not to say I wouldn't like all the things you've mentioned, but I guess it boils down to how roland see the jd-xa.

You used the mc-303 as a reference, but that was a groovebox/workstation - which is a totally different kettle of fish to a synthesizer, where it's all about the sound creation.

In this context, the sequencer is really more of a scratch-pad type bonus rather than being a central focus-point.

I imagine Roland figured that people will be using the jd-xa with external DAWS/sequencers, and that they would do a better job of sequencing than the jd-xa hardware ever could.
JD Knight

Post by JD Knight »

some contradicton again, sorry:

Don't want to be rude, but i know all those arguments/excuses.
Neithter do i see a sequencer that is advertised to have the ability to route 8 tracks to external equipment as "scratchpad", nor do i expect wonders. Pattern switching without stopping is a MINIMAL task. And i really don't know what is wrong with all the manufacteres with their 4bar limitation. Almost any groovox - not just the MC 303 - had more. Much more. It's ok on drum machines. It's NOT ok on synths because of long notes that are cut when switching patterns.
OneOfManyPauls

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

No argument from me - the jd-xa is a terrible groovebox.