Reaaaally low signal from certain patches

Forum for the JD-XA.
kittyn

Reaaaally low signal from certain patches

Post by kittyn »

Hey guys, I'm having this problem on the JD-XA where some patches, like the Rhodes patch 3, are going into my DAW at extreeemely low volume. I can hardly hear it, and yet when I switch patches it's super loud. I'm using ableton live and I have an mbox 3 audio interface, if that makes a difference. I've been trying for a couple days to fix this, I even switched from windows to mac and I still get this problem. Coming out of the headphones the signal is fine. If anyone can help, I'd be grateful :)
kittyn

Re: Reaaaally low signal from certain patches

Post by kittyn »

Nevermind! I figured out the issue. Thanks,
Fordy

Post by Fordy »

Hi Kittyn

Just out of interest what was the issue?

Kind regards,

-Fordy
kittyn

Post by kittyn »

Fordy wrote:Hi Kittyn

Just out of interest what was the issue?

Kind regards,

-Fordy
It was a really stupid issue! I had the JD-XA plugged into the wrong input on my recording interface. I put it in the line input instead of the instrument input.
johnstimley

Post by johnstimley »

It's interesting because I have experienced a similar problem. My JD-XA goes to my MX-1 mixer via USB. This disables my master volume on the JD-XA (which is a shame). I have raised the output to +12db on the XA but the differential in volume between some patches is vast. For instance the piano seems much quieter than many other patches. Does any have any thoughts on this?
FirstAxis

Post by FirstAxis »

Yeah, my guess is that they leave some head room (volume level difference to 0 dB) after the amplified signal for the effects. I always put a Compressor or Equalizer on one of the two MFXs
Coorec

Post by Coorec »

On certain things you really need the headroom. For drive, or when you crossover resonant things to be played polyphonically.

Using balanced cables (if your interface/mixer supports them) also gives an additional 6db in gain. XA's output is balanced! Many overlook that small fact (i certainly did) and ponder of small volumes.