My Analog experience

Forum for the JD-XA.
stephenmendes

My Analog experience

Post by stephenmendes »

I was one who was eagerly waiting to get a JD-XA when it's release was announced.

Then after it was out..... many reviewers gave it a lukewarm reception.....

!. I remember somebody recommending buy a Dave Smith keyboard for the same money and dont go JD-XA
2. I remember another reviewer saying it was nothing to compare with older Roland synths like .... Jupiter-8 and JX-3P

So..... wanting a "true" analog experience.... I went to the other extreme and bought a large, heavy modular from synthesizers.com

The thing is.... I AM a big Roland fan ..... I currently have their digital gear..... I own FA-06, VR-09, AX synth and an older sound module, D-110

I wonder if I missed out by not getting a JD-XA ?
HaveIt

Re: My Analog experience

Post by HaveIt »

The hate campaign for the JD-XA was staggering. Before even getting some experience with it, we had to hear about the shiny black surface, dark red colours, short keys, external power supply, no drums, it went on and on.

In fact the JD-XA is brilliant. Its the new JP-8000, a 4 voice 2 x Osc poly, a passable superNatural synth and midi control surface for other synths. The filters are wonderful, both the analog and the digital. The effects are plentiful with great sounding defaults. The knobs are so useful for quick and intuitive programming. And yes, they are fluid and step free (filter env depth on digital synths is the exception).

You have to at least try it. Its spectacular, there are very few synths that inspre me, but this is one of them. Every one of the nay sayers should hang their head in shame.

B
JD Knight

Re: My Analog experience

Post by JD Knight »

1. you cannot compare a modular synth to a poly synth
2. you have to check it out for yourself
3. did you miss out something? you will NEVER know, before you take time to play one
4. if i had to choose ONE polysynth ( and i had PPG, OBERHEIM, and many other )
then it would be the JD-XA - most inspiring, most fun, and i just love the sound

check out classic synth stuff here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrwB-qu-ASQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-k3ZPrqthg

but it also can do super modern or experiental sounds