JD-XA and Cubase, MIDI problem

Forum for the JD-XA.
musella

JD-XA and Cubase, MIDI problem

Post by musella »

Hello,

I create a sound using Analog 1 and 2 + Digital 1 parts.
I use Cubase to record my different tracks.
Analogue 1 on Ch 1 into Cubase track
Analogue 2 on Ch 2...
Digital part 1 on Ch 5...
I play my sound and Cubase record what I play.
I listen if all is OK
All is OK, but...

I have created another sound, for example, a lead. This sound uses Analog part 1 and 2...

I record into Cubase on Ch 1 ans Ch 2... But If I play my music, the sound is not corresponding.

I have created a Patch List for Cubase with MSB, LSB and program change...
If I want to change the sound from Cubase, I have to put first my track on Ch 16, I select the sound on my patch list and Cubase calls the sound and my JD-XA LCD screen set up the sound.
So, I put the track on the desired Ch to record...

I have something wrong on my MIDI configuration.

I have done the Patch List for my Integra 7, and all is OK... I can record and play back my different tracks and Cubase plays the right tone for each track. To select my sound in Cubase, it is not necessary to put first the track on Ch 16 to call the sound and put again on another Ch to record and play back.

I use the USB vendor drivers… but I have tried a normal midi connection with midi wires… the problem is the same.

The only solution would be to record in Cubase each sound on an Audio track and so on... But if you want to modify a track, in midi mode, is perfect !

So, what is wrong ?
Have you meet the same problem ?

I work on PC with Win 7 x64.
Cubase 5 (32 bits)

Thanks for your help...
Coorec

Re: JD-XA and Cubase, MIDI problem

Post by Coorec »

musella wrote:Hello,

I create a sound using Analog 1 and 2 + Digital 1 parts.
I use Cubase to record my different tracks.
Analogue 1 on Ch 1 into Cubase track
Analogue 2 on Ch 2...
Digital part 1 on Ch 5...
I play my sound and Cubase record what I play.
I listen if all is OK
All is OK, but...

I have created another sound, for example, a lead. This sound uses Analog part 1 and 2...
I'd gladly help, but i cant follow your description to think me into your situation.

It happens when you say you create another sound. Do you mean you create a different program, or do you use the same program where analog parts 1 and 2 are already used? If so, make sure, that the new program has analog parts 1 and 2 also on midi channel 1 and 2 like in your first program.
musella

Post by musella »

hello,

Ok, I explain... sorry I'm french, and it's a bit difficult to explain exactly what's the problem !

For comparaison : I have an Integra 7. I want to create a song. I prepare in Cubase some midi tracks where I'm going to record Piano, Choirs, guitar, strings...

Each midi track has a Ch. Ch1, Ch2, Ch3...

When I press play, Cubase plays the different sounds from the Integra 7 !

On the JD-XA :
I create a sound inside the button program P1 where Analogic part 1 and Analogic Part 2 are exploited. Analog Part 1 on Ch1 and Analog Part 2 on Ch2.

I create a midi track on Cubase to record my JD-XA sound... I play-back the sound and all is OK !

I decide to create another sound inside the Program P2 where the Analog Part 1,2,3 are exploited.

I select the P2 Program to record it and when I record, all seems to be ok. When I play-back, the sound is not the P2 but the P1 !

Cubase don't want to change the Program !

To select the Program from Cubase, I have to set up my Midi track on the Ch 16 and the Program change on the JD-XA ! I record and both second and first track play on the P2 Program !
I cannot plays Program P1 and P2 at the same time !
Coorec

Post by Coorec »

Dont worry, i am german and i know the feeling how hard it can be to describe such matters in foreign tongues.

The Integra 7 has a different structure when it comes to handle multitibrality. It is layed out as a preset synth, whilst the XA is a programmers synth. A program in the XA is like a studio set in the Integra. So when you switch the program it is like switching a studio set in your Integra. When you do this, your song wouldnt work as expected too.

Its not a weakness of the XA. Its just different, since it serves a different purpose. The XA is more immediate to program complex patches. Everything is layed out in front of you to program your sound. For sequencer/workstation use the Integra is a little easier to handle, since you can switch presets (patches) within a studio set. However, its not as immediate to program patches as it is on the XA.

In your case you could copy the analog parts 1 and 2 of P2 to the analog parts 3 and 4 in P1. Then use Ch3 and 4 in Cubase. That should do the trick.

Btw. you can change the midi channels of parts on the XA. So part 1 and 2 could be on midi channel 1, parts 3/4 could be on midi channel 2. This would save you some midi tracks in cubase.

And another hint. The librarian lets you much more easy copy/paste parts from programs to program. Feels a little closer to what it is like on other Roland synths.
musella

Post by musella »

OK... I do that. It's the unique midi solution I have founded.
When I create, a sound, I use only 1 program where all the Analog parts and Digital parts are used… So, when I play back, each midi track read its sound.
It's why I have answered the question by : only 1 program to play back... Meaning 1 full parts program.

Thanks a lot for the time used to explain the subtility.
Even if this specification limit a little the JD-XA interaction with a DAW, this synth is very very impressive … I love it.