The supersaw oscillator

Forum for the JD-XA.
trrstrl

Re: The supersaw oscillator

Post by trrstrl »

Hopefully I get time to do some comparisons. Do you still have your JP8000? I regrettably sold mine a few years back, but got around to picking up a JP8080. It is a unique synth. The newer Supernatural synth in some ways doesn't sound as good as the JP8000. In other ways it is clearly better.

I'm curious about the differences between Roland's analog modeling engines: Aira, Boutique, and Supernatural. On the surface it seems the Supernatural is the least appealing, but it's the one in the "expensive" synths (Jupiters 80 and 50, Integra 7, JD-XA). The plug-out emulations of older Roland synths sound pretty good. It's too bad they couldn't be loaded into the JD-XA or Jupiter 80 as well as the System 1.

The Supernatural synth does complement the analog part of the JD-XA though.
zombietactics

Post by zombietactics »

trrstrl wrote:... The plug-out emulations of older Roland synths sound pretty good. It's too bad they couldn't be loaded into the JD-XA or Jupiter 80 as well as the System 1.

The Supernatural synth does complement the analog part of the JD-XA though.
I think we'd all love to have a (8 notes at minimum) polyphonic ACB synth w/ plugout technology. I'd like to see them implement a few things:

Make all of the mono (SH-101, SH-2, etc.) plug-outs available in polyphonic editions. (I'm drooling over the possibility of a polyphonic SH-2 or System-100)

Has to have at least 4 plugout slots available.

Should have plugouts of Juno-106, Jupiter-8, & JX-3p at launch. Others to follow.

License the plugout format to 3rd-party vendors.

Minimum 4-octave keyboard with Velocity and Aftertouch. These controllers need to be able to control a comprehensive number of parameters ... minimally Volume, Filter Cutoff & LFO Pitch Modulation.

Street Price of $1000 or less.
JDBoy

Post by JDBoy »

All sounds good (system 8) but the reality hits me after a while that I'm using digital to do an analog job, and it NEVER feels the same. It won't be as good as the DCOs in the JD-XA (or the VCOs/DCOS of the originals). The plug out plug ins are GREAT soft synths certainly but as software they make sense, even in a cheap enough hardware keyboard host they can make sense for some, but for me if I'm spending big on hardware synths I want real analog (or used cheap/old digtal like V-Synth which is still stunning and hardly your run of the mill synth - built well too).

So I'm sure a system 8 would do well for Roland, at least in the short term but like the boutiques people won't be fooled for long. The real juno 106 and JX-3P (got them) sounds much 'better' than the digital versions. Superficially you can get some of the sizzle but not the juice (or rather a lack of depth/weight on the digital version). I like digital that does what digital does best (JD-800, V-Synth, D-50, DX7 etc) and for analog type sounds to, mostly, be created by real analog. Some can't tell the difference, many can (inc me) esp in the response and feel more than in a blind saw v saw comparison, it's about how it all adds up and reacts when you play (usually very apparent on quick comped chord stabs etc - real analog sounds a LOT better than digital pretending to be analog - even Diva or w/e) not about someone elses carefully matched basic patch which most synths can do.

As for supersaw, well I'll say I actually preferred the one in the V-Synth over the JP-8000 but I wasn't a fan of 'trance sounds' ever and while SS can be used for a lot more than that I think the V-Synth SS gives it more range/depth and abilities, the V-Synth supersaw is deeper and the synth has so much power to do stuff with it that the JP8k can't. I understand some prefer the tone of the JP8k but it never did much for me. I always preferred the AN1x as far as VAs go, but I like using the V-Synth's VA for certain tasks (not to clone analog just as its own - DIGITAL - synth with those cool COSM filters).

I've barely used the digital SSaw on the JD-XA but it appears to do a decent job. V-Synth does sound a bit more expansive on the digital side at times though imo. JD-XA makes up for it on the analog (of course) and the abilities it's dual nature gives it.