Copy / Paste Parts Using The Librarian

Forum for the JD-XA.
Jdoo

Copy / Paste Parts Using The Librarian

Post by Jdoo »

I wasn't able to figure out how to easily to a Part Copy from one Program to another. I see where holding Shift - Bank/Copy allows me to select a part.. but following that with a Paste into another Program/Part is something I didn't readily see. So .. I dug into the Librarian, to see if was easy enough from it. Yep. It's possible. I recently posted this on a GearSlut thread, and thought I would paste it here.. just in case.

COPYING a PART FROM ONE PROGRAM TO ANOTHER
I have been successful using the Librarian for this function. Here is what works for me. I’ve been creating a couple of ‘go to’ Programs with bread-n-butter Parts I want for sequences/patterns (for example Drums, Bass) that I am using on more than one Program – so this is something I’m starting to use a lot…

- for this example – I am going to Copy Analog part 02 of Program 06 in Bank F (ProgramNo F06) to Analog Part 01 of Program 04 in Bank B (ProgramNo B04).

1. I start by writing down the Program and Tone/Part I will be copying from and to. It's easy to forget these, and I haven’t found a way to sample them, if I've forgotten which part mid-process. So for this example… I write down
• To: 020: A01 (ProgramNo B04)
2. Launch the Librarian, and make sure the JD-XA is connected to your computer (USB is plugged in).
3. Make sure your computer has a connection to the JD-XA. Sometimes it means I have to select the Librarian Menu Item under Setup / Setup Midi Device (even though I am already set up and hit OK. Sometimes it involves restarting the JDXA. In any case – you HAVE to have a connection between the JD- and your computer, or all bets are off. Usually… I skip this step, unless the following Steps don’t work.
- the following steps, you do from the Librarian -
4. On the Librarian's Main window, click on the row for the Program you're going to copy the tone 'To'. For this example, I’ll click on row 020 (and click the “Read Selected” button up top. If this works, the * ProgramName field will be filled in, and display the Program Name I am going to be copying to. If not.. I go back to Step 3 until this works. Sometimes I have to do this a couple of times. The important thing, is this connection HAS to be established for the rest to work, and sometimes it's fiddly.
5. I now select the Program Row, I am going to be copying the tone from. For this example.. It is Bank F, Program 06. Click on row 086 (ProgramNo F06) and click “Read Selected” from the button up top. This should work without any issue, if you got past step 4.
6. Right-Click on the '086' on Row 86, and choose Copy Tone.
7. The "Select Tone" menu will popup. Select the part you want copied. For this example... select "A: 02" and hit OK . This places Analog Part 02 of Program 06, in Bank F, into memory.
8. Go back and click on the row you will be copying to (row 020). Now right-click on the 020, select Paste Tone…
9. On the "Select Tone" popup menu, choose the part you want to paste to. For this example... Part 01.
10. Done? Not so fast.. it's still in memory.. so, double-click the row (020) to temporarily write the changes into that row. At this point – you should be able to hear the tone on the JD-XA, play it.. make sure it’s what you wanted.
11. If it's right immediate click the Write button, to write the Program / changes... If you move off the program, your edit is lost. If you don't like what you hear... move off the program (Select a different program) , and start fresh.

Lot of steps. Some of them may be unnecessary. I tend to stick with what works for me... and these work. It can be a PITA - but it allows me to copy tones from one Program to another. That's it, by using the Librarian. Apologies for any typos or mistakes... ymmv

Like I said initially... there may be a way to easily use the controls on the JD-XA directly without the Librarian. In my case, I am usually moving parts from all over the place, to construct starter bits for hybrid Programs - so it's easy for me to just use the Librarian..
blewis_13

Re: Copy / Paste Parts Using The Librarian

Post by blewis_13 »

Thank you for writing this. I simply cannot believe they didn't provide an easy method for copying a Part from one Program to another Program. Very bizarre design choices.

I still don't quite understand what the definition of a "Tone" is. I understand Program and Part and Partial... then this Tone thing gets thrown into the mix?

This OS is just a mess.
Copying a Sound or Pattern (Copy)
Here’s how to copy settings from a part, partial, or pattern that’s saved in another program, or from an INTEGRA-7 or FA-06/08 tone.
In one sentence they've used Part (labeled on the panel), Partial (also labeled on the panel), Pattern (label on the panel)... and then "sound" (how much more generic of a term can you come up with) and then FA-06/08 "tone". So I have to open up the FA-06/08 manual to learn what a tone means? Apparently a Tone is almost a full JD-XA Digital Part, minus the Part EQ.

Notice how the manual says "that's save in another program" but the OS only lets you pick Parts from the _same_ program.

Again, thank you for your help and I'm not ranting at you, I just can't believe what a mess some parts of this synth are.
blewis_13

Post by blewis_13 »

OMG! I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT AFTER A MONTH AND 3-5 FAILED SESSIONS AND MANUAL CONSULTATIONS!

There is a single keyword here that is key to understanding how it works. That word is "from"!
Copying a Sound or Pattern (Copy)
Here’s how to copy settings from a part, partial, or pattern that’s saved in another program, or from an INTEGRA-7 or FA-06/08 tone.
I made a HUGE mistake of starting on the Program that had the Part I wanted to copy. DON'T DO THAT! START where you want to END! (yes, I purposefully labeled that bassackwards cause this is bassackwards)

When doing a copy, you are able to freely choose the Part of the SOURCE, but you are limited to the current Program for choosing the DESTINATION. That's why it didn't make sense for me, and I suspect why you got confused too. You get to the end of the operation and you're stuck in the current Program.

My gawd that was harder than it should have been.
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

Thanks for that... it works! Funny how leaving out a single word, can honk up a technical how-to doc. :|