New owner , few questions...

Forum for the JD-XA.
dorsey

New owner , few questions...

Post by dorsey »

just got this jd-xa today. Sounds great!
I updated to the latest os and it erased the presets that it shipped with. Can I get those back? I liked a few of them. Thanks guys!!
Jdoo

Re: New owner , few questions...

Post by Jdoo »

Congrats on your new 'XA. One option, is to join the JD-XA Usergroup in Facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/1405213686446929/ ). They have the original, and new sets in their "Files" area. Once you have these downloaded, you can use the Librarian to load them onto your JD-XA.

hth -

Joe
evilpants

Post by evilpants »

It shouldn't have done that. The new OS contains a full new set of presets (actually they're not new - they're mostly from the downloadable Axial banks from the Roland site), but it's not supposed to do anything with them unless you carry out a factory reset.

You might have a bit of a bug there.

It's definitely worth getting into the habit of backing up all this stuff. I still don't do it regularly enough, and I try to use the librarian app on my MacBook, but it takes forever to load the patches...

I got my JD-XA a few months ago and I am absolutely in love with it. It has shown me just how much I need to learn about sound creation, but boy is it wonderful to have 8 analogue oscillators and then 12 digital ones to smooth things out over the top. I was playing with making a simple drone-type bass sound, and it was brilliant using 7 parts, mostly similar to thicken the sound, but then having, say, analogue part 3 with a bit of portamento and digital part 1 with a slightly slower filter envelope. That sort of stuff is that experts do all the time, but it has been a real joy knowing I can create a single sound that is a landscape all on its own. I've finally learned that people mean when they say "evolving pads" :-)

Yet again Roland has made something that is "our little secret" until it goes out of production, and then suddenly people will realise what a classic it is.
dorsey

Post by dorsey »

Thank you!! Yes I bought it used so I did a factory reset. Didn't know that would happen.

How do you guys load patches without using the librarian? I want to load some of the integera 7 banks from axial and they are recognized by the librarian.
I can't find instructions from loading patches from the thumb drive online. Any help would be appreciated!
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

dorsey wrote:Thank you!! Yes I bought it used so I did a factory reset. Didn't know that would happen.

How do you guys load patches without using the librarian? I want to load some of the integera 7 banks from axial and they are recognized by the librarian.
I can't find instructions from loading patches from the thumb drive online. Any help would be appreciated!

There is a thread discussing this here: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=50401

IMO though... It's worth loading, and learning the Librarian. I've found it a great way to organize banks for my JD-XA, based on both Program type (e.g. Brass, Synth, Sequences, Leads) and by Set. You can build up a library (pardon the pun) of these 'xal' files pretty simply. The PITA of it all... is that the Librarian is finicky. :) Anyway - the thread above will show you how to load the Axial sounds without the LIbrarian.

hth -

Joe