Step Record Parameter Recording

Forum for the JD-XA.
goldphinga

Step Record Parameter Recording

Post by goldphinga »

So in the manual, it's clearly stated that you can record knob movements in step record mode to a specific step of your choosing. I've tried in vain to get this working. Can anyone explain it a little better? Should step record light be on or off, should the sequence be playing or not? If step record is engaged and there is a note event recorded (red square lit) if i hold that square, it flashes green and i turn any dial whilst holding that step button. But nothing seems to change audibly?

It says in the manual:

"By turning a knob while holding down one of the [01]–[16]
buttons, you can record the last state of that knob in the specified
step"

Any help gratefully received!

Cheers
Coorec

Re: Step Record Parameter Recording

Post by Coorec »

As we already discussed in another forum, the function is working, but appears to be unreliably at the moment.

When you push Step Rec and push a step button it will switch the step off. Once turned back on you can hold the step button, tweak the parameter.. when you let go, the parameter is p-locked.

At the current state the function is still buggy. If you p-lock with running sequencer it appears to me, that the record function is switched off as soon as you move a parameter. It seems to me that this only happens if there is a p-lock already. But i cant be sure and i am not going to beta test it in depth.

Its definitively something the bug fixing team at Roland should have a close look at.
HaveIt

Post by HaveIt »

The big disappointment is that its not real p-locks because each step which does not have a parameter value in it should be reading the current knobs. If you've used Elektrons you know what that means - special parameters on some steps but still having full realtime control from the front panel for other steps.

And yeah, I didn't get it to work anyway.
Coorec

Post by Coorec »

HaveIt wrote:The big disappointment is that its not real p-locks because each step which does not have a parameter value in it should be reading the current knobs. If you've used Elektrons you know what that means - special parameters on some steps but still having full realtime control from the front panel for other steps.

And yeah, I didn't get it to work anyway.
I dont think thats a big disappointment. I like the implementation as it is, but wouldnt mind it the other way either.

Probably because i actually get it to work.
HaveIt

Post by HaveIt »

If you don't do it the Elektron way, then you can't realtime adjust sliders and knobs as well as have specific parameter settings on somer steps.