Trigger mode: Can't independently specify MIDI channel?

Forum for the JD-XA.
MartinE

Trigger mode: Can't independently specify MIDI channel?

Post by MartinE »

So, I have an audio looper that I want to control via MIDI from the JD-XA. The scenario is just me laying down a groove loop and then playing on top of that, changing parts as I go along. I want to do longer loops than the JD-XA sequencer allows, so I can't use that.

And I thought: MIDI trigger mode must be the thing -- but when I change part, it changes MIDI channel for the trigger messages as well. This throws off my looper, as I can only program it to listen for a specific MIDI channel.

Thus, when I instruct the looper to start recording with, say, CC 10, it wants to know which channel to expect the CC on.

Of course, I can to some extent work-around this in various ways (always have one specific part "on" but volume set to zero, or use MIDI CTRL mode followed by Trigger mode) but they're not really optimal; the latter takes multiple button-presses and is error-prone, and the former occupies a voice in every program, plus every program must be edited to set the volume to zero for that part.

Ideally, I'd want an option to either send out triggers on the MIDI channels of the currently selected parts, or on a global channel, perhaps the one configurable in the System menu: "MIDI: Prog Ctrl Ch".

Have I missed something? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
horisonten

Re: Trigger mode: Can't independently specify MIDI channel?

Post by horisonten »

No answer yet...
I'm trying to do something similar, but instead trying to use the XAs internal sequencer for parameter locks which activates the recording on my external looper.
I'm actually going to create a new subjects about this.