BIG KNOB preset/patch sounds

Forum for the JD-XA.
rubez

BIG KNOB preset/patch sounds

Post by rubez »

with the JDXI, there was a big knob to select between pads/basses/leads etc.

also, when you downloaded an axial sound set, you could NOT select these new pads, basses, leads etc from the big knob - you had to use them within the specific program they were saved to!

also, you could not make or save (to my knowledge) your own preset sounds/patches - and save them to the big knob, so that you could select them in any program you liked.

so! ... how does the JDXA handle this?

there is no 'big knob'... how do you select from preset sounds/patches?

if you download an axial sound set - the new sounds (pads etc) are they confined to the specific program like the JDXI, or can you select from them freely (as in from the 'big knob') and use them in any program you like?

making your own sounds... can you save your own preset/patch sounds, and then be able to select and use them freely in any program you like? (again, this would be from the big knob on the JDXI)

this would be a big help if anyone can answer this... probably better if you have experience with the JDXI.

thanks!
JDBoy

Re: BIG KNOB preset/patch sounds

Post by JDBoy »

there is no 'big knob'...
Thank god. This is a real synth for synth nuts, not a little toy/groovebox/preset thing. The idea of having a "Big knob" do all the work for you is beyond inane on such a powerful synth as the JD-XA.

JD-Xi and JD-XA are worlds apart, one is aimed at younger players/beginners the other is aimed at sound designers/pros/semi pros. Hence no "big knob".
zombietactics

Post by zombietactics »

Yep ... I don't even like patch names which are too direct and "telling" you what they are for. Not on a synthesizer, anyway.

I prefer patches to have names like "WickedBlade" or "BlindJustice" (actual names I've used, lol) ... you will remember the sound (maybe) and the name, but none of this "StringPad187" stuff.
SynthGraphics

Post by SynthGraphics »

rubez wrote:with the JDXI, there was a big knob to select between pads/basses/leads etc.

also, when you downloaded an axial sound set, you could NOT select these new pads, basses, leads etc from the big knob - you had to use them within the specific program they were saved to!

also, you could not make or save (to my knowledge) your own preset sounds/patches - and save them to the big knob, so that you could select them in any program you liked.

so! ... how does the JDXA handle this?

there is no 'big knob'... how do you select from preset sounds/patches?

if you download an axial sound set - the new sounds (pads etc) are they confined to the specific program like the JDXI, or can you select from them freely (as in from the 'big knob') and use them in any program you like?

making your own sounds... can you save your own preset/patch sounds, and then be able to select and use them freely in any program you like? (again, this would be from the big knob on the JDXI)

this would be a big help if anyone can answer this... probably better if you have experience with the JDXI.

thanks!

Easiest way to organize you patches is by banks. Like all pro Roland gear the JD-XA has patch banks (A through P) and in each Bank there are 16 programs/patches. This is ver similar to Juno-106, Jupiter-8, etc, except those had Bank numbers 1 through 8 rather than letters. On a Juno-106 program #28 is actually Bank #2 Program #8.

So for examples you can put all your bass sounds in BANK A, strings in BANK B, and so on.

The big knob on the JD-Xi is the BANK selector in its case. Some people find it annoying to have those banks pre-labled.