MIDI CC-74 ("Brightness") behavior?

Forum for the JD-XA.
MartinE

MIDI CC-74 ("Brightness") behavior?

Post by MartinE »

Hi,

Try this:

1. Select factory program A01, Massive Pad. It has Wheel 2 mapped to MIDI CC-74, aka "brightness"
2. Press Play, to get the loop going
3. Move wheel 2 up and down, to hear MIDI CC-74 in action. Leave it at the top ("brightest")
4. The interesting step: Press the On button on Analog Part 01, such that it isn't receiving key presses

And then all of the brightness disappears.

5. Move wheel 2 again, nothing happens to the loop
6. Press Analog Part 01 On button again. The sound remains without brightness.
7. Move wheel 2, brightness is re-applied

So where did it go, back in step 4?

More general, where does "brightness" come from? How is it built into the JD-XA? I can't seem to find any settings for it in the menus, but it's obviously filter-related and apparently global for all parts that receive keyboard input ("On"). So it must be a "keyboard attribute", for lack of something better to call it -- a property of the keyboard but not of the program?

If that's the case, then there must be a bug, right? I mean, if the A01 program has "max brightness" when it's loaded into the engine, but "min brightness" once the (polystack) part is turned Off while the sequencer is running, there's a setting that's getting lost.

Also, the massive sound alteration when it happens isn't very nice, and one I'd like to avoid somehow.

If I sound confused, it's because I am... Please enlighten me! :-)

Thanks,

/Martin.

(By the way, if you only do steps 1, 2 and 4, i.e. don't move wheel 2 between pressing Play and On on the Analog part, then the brightness remains while the loop plays. Odd.)