Patch Settings.. Share

Forum for the JD-XA.
Jdoo

Patch Settings.. Share

Post by Jdoo »

Any interest in folks sharing their JD-XA song settings? I'll kick this off. Note: If you have a better way of accomplishing what I post. . please share! Am doing this to learn, as much as share... so please go ahead and make suggestions.
===============================
The Who - Won’t Get Fooled Again
Intro Organ …

This uses a single ‘XA digital partial, and can probably be done differently (better) using an Analog part, and LFO to waggle the resonance… (I used a TFX - “Wah”).

1. Start with an INIT Patch.
2. Digital Part 1: Press Select Press On
Analog Part 1: Turn OFF (press the On button to turn it off)
3. Partial Part 1 should be Selected and On by default
4. Set the D-OSC to Variation
5. Press (+) key to select 138. OrganWave 1 (or whatever organ sound you like)
6. Back up to the LFO Section. Select SQR (square) shape
7. Press the Tempo Sync button, Set the Rate to 1/8 SyncNote
Note: I set the TEMPO to 145
8. LFO Sliders
Fade Time 0
Pitch Depth 0
Filter Depth -63
Amp Depth -63
9. TFX 1 17. Overdrive TFX 1 CTRL ( 88)
TFX 2 06. Wah TFX 2 CTRL ( 38 )
10. Amp ADSR
A: 0 D: 0 S: 127 R: 0
11. Balance the Amp level with TFX 1 CTRL to suit…
johnstimley

Re: Patch Settings.. Share

Post by johnstimley »

Are there any blank patch charts available for the XA?
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

The Parameter Guide has a full list of the available parameters.. but it's filled with descriptions and parameter high/low setting values. Is that what you're looking for? I think most of the 'official' Roland literature is on their support page here: https://www.roland.com/global/support/by_product/jd-xa/
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

johnstimley wrote:Are there any blank patch charts available for the XA?
This was a really great question.. and I answered it sideways. Sorry for that. I am not aware of any blank patch charts for the JD-XA. I started creating one in MS Visio. It has the layout of the top panels of the JD-XA. All fine and good -- but there are a lot of settings under the menus that need to be hoisted onto a patch chart. I don't know of a good way of creating a check sheet for those (there are so many!). is an example of the file.. filled out for The Who "Won't Get Fooled Again".
jdxapatchch.jpg
jdxapatchch.jpg (77.19 KiB) Viewed 1383 times
There just a lot of detail that can (and should be) added to a patch chart.. Have no idea, what would be the best way of conveying the info.. Am open to suggestions..
johnstimley

Post by johnstimley »

Appreciate what you are saying re the hidden menus and their importance. The XA is a deep machine. So far, in the last month, since having my XA I have explored the Roland patches, pre loaded and Axial and have been happy to experiment with them. I find it amazing how much change and variation you can create with just a few knobs and sliders. I have also done some basic analogue programming and have explored the digital wave presets. I'll give some further thought re patch sheets.
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

Going to post a few songs. Please keep in mind.... I am no expert, and am learning the 'XA as I do these. The attached zip file contains eight Programs. There is a readme file in the zip, copied below - which describes how to get these onto your JD-XA. Some folks may find these programs overly simplistic. That's cool. Mostly I am sharing, because we should be doing more of this, imo. :) ... and I get better at programming, by doing/sharing. Anyway - the point is, these are free. My plan is to continue to post more programs here, and ultimately onto Cello's site. He hosts the FA-06/08 Studio Sets that we have been sharing. If you have questions, or comments - it would be great to hear em. These are all pretty straight forward bread-n-butter type sounds. Nothing fancy.

I tried to load these with (simple) examples that show some of the tips that are in the doc that I posted earlier (and that Cello has hosted on his site: http://www.jp-80.com http://www.jp-80.com/docs/JDXA-BKMs.pdf <-- there. An example is the OscarBrass+1 Program. It has Four Analog parts. One I borrowed with pride from a post that VennD had shared, two that I built based on Oscars, and one that Cello did. All of these analog parts can (should?) be used in Poly mode. All have slightly different sonic content. All -- can be layered with any of the four digital parts (which are primarily brass, strings, choir bits). Anyway - this one patch - has a buttload of sonic content, based on how the eight parts are used. It's mostly... a good example of how powerful a single JD-XA program can be... One 'multi' and several combination possibilities. Dang I type a lot. Apologies. But I wanted to explain the patch reasoning. There are lots of great examples of JD-XA patching out there. These are not great. They're for learning. Comments welcomed.
File :
first8.zip
(17.01 KiB) Downloaded 951 times
Readme:

01 - 08 from USB

PROG01: “Helicopter” - Effect. Wheel 2 adjusts speed
PROG02: “Fooled Again” - The Who - Won’t Get Fooled Again. (beginning organ bits)
PROG03: “Sync 2” - Simple OSC Sync
PROG04: “OscarBrass+1” - Collab with Cello, some bits borrowed from VennD. Brass, String, Pluck Analog. Brass, String Dig” Use Poly Stack
PROG05: “Turn It On” - Genesis - Turn It On Again. Have a complimentary FA-06 for other parts..
PROG06: “Every Breath” - The Police - Every Breath You Take
PROG07: “H&O Clavs” - You Make My Dreams Come True - Hall & Oats
PROG08:”Subdivisions” - Subdivisions - Rush - Bottom Octave duped to lower registers

Drop these onto your USB Drive into one of the folders under:
ROLAND
JD-XA
PROGRAM
A or B or C … P

Any folder that these PROG01..PROG08 won’t step on existing files.
On the JD-XA, press the USB Memory button, and these will be available in the Bank/Folder you dropped them into..