Hard Sync - (ala Cars Let's Go)?

Forum for the JD-XA.
Jdoo

Hard Sync - (ala Cars Let's Go)?

Post by Jdoo »

Can someone step through the basics of what settings are involved in making the Hard Sync tone (Im targeting the Cars Let's Go?) looking for a basic "Set OSC Sync on, Using one Analog Part, Set Osc1 to Triangle, Osc2 to Pulse, LFO Triangle, Cross Mod 58, etc..." Just missing something basic in this ... could use a nudge in the right direction.

tyia

Joe
Jdoo

Re: Hard Sync - (ala Cars Let's Go)?

Post by Jdoo »

Well... Let's go.. There are more than one way to skin this cat, but here is one way..

1. Find a location you want to put this program
- press Program Select button
- press the button for the program location you will be writing to
- Hold Shift - Click the Program button - "<INIT> [Ent]" comes up in the display
- Press the Enter button - "Program Init?" [Exit]:N [Ent]" comes up in the display
- Press the Enter button again - "Completed!" will flash in the display

-- this Initialized the location where you will be putting your patch. It's also something you should remember, as it comes in handy when you are dinking around, and have screwed up a program and want to start fresh.

2. Set A-OSC1 to SQR waveform (Square and Pulse have the same effect, and work well for Oscillator Sync)
3. Tune OSC1 Pitch to +24
4. Press the LFO Select button to select LFO2 (in the LFO section on the top left)
5. Set the LFO2 Rate (Rate knob) to 25 - This will cause the LCD Display to Show LFO2: Rate 25
6. These settings you make in the LCD Window... (menu diving now.. but conveniently, it is up now)
> Key Trigger (Turn it On)
> Pitch Dest (+/- to set this to OSC1)
7. Now ... press the OSC Sync Button --

You can adjust the sound in several ways, but using the LFO Pitch Depth Slider is the first one you should adjust.

- Add MFX / TFX to taste.. ( there are several that work well with the sync sound)

Some explanation (I was asked offline).
In this patch - Oscillator 1 is being used to effect the tones of Oscillator 2. It (Oscillator 1) is not audible, once you press OSC Sync. Setting it's pitch to +24, or even adjusting the Fine pitch control only put it's frequency in range to effect the frequencies on Oscillator 2. Key Trigger is set, so that the effect starts new, on every key press. This is so, the sound / effect always catches the same. Since sync for this Program is set to Pitch, it is the main control effecting the sound.
zombietactics

Post by zombietactics »

I am reasonable certain that you are going to ant to use the pitch envelope, and not LFO to modulate the sync frequency ... if you are going for the "Let's Go!" type of patch. That sound was a factory patch on the Prophet 5 (I owned one) and was set up that way.
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

zombietactics wrote:I am reasonable certain that you are going to ant to use the pitch envelope, and not LFO to modulate the sync frequency ... if you are going for the "Let's Go!" type of patch. That sound was a factory patch on the Prophet 5 (I owned one) and was set up that way.
I'll have to check / retry later. I knew you can do hard sync with the Pitch Env as well as using a free LFO. In fact, I have notes that describe doing it:
To use the PITCH ENV controls for hard sync sounds instead of using an LFO:
Set the P-Env button to the second lit option (Osc 1/D Osc) to only affect Osc 1, then dial in a good amount with the PEnv knob above it
Set the A/D sliders to taste little bit of attack, medium decay... then you get a sync sound automatically restarting on each keypress without futzing around with LFOs, leaves the LFOS free for other tasks.

I tried this second method, but wasnt getting the effect I wanted. (it sounded wonky). I may have copied the instructions wrong, or set them incorrectly on my 'XA. Using the LFO for doing the Sync, definitely gave me the sound I was looking for though, so I stopped looking. :) The beauty of programming, is there is usually more than one way to get the results you're looking for. Appreciate the input!

Joe