Roland s overlays.

Forum for the JD-XA.
OneOfManyPauls

Re: Roland s overlays.

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

I really appreciate your posts on this - the free overlays from roland and a fiver spent on the slider caps you linked to have overcome the physical negatives of the jd-xa for me.

All I'm missing now is an editor.

Memorysplice said they're starting work on the jd-xa editor tomorrow, so will see how that pans out.
bigmuz7

Post by bigmuz7 »

Just got my free Roland ones yesterday and got them on. They are very well made and an excellent fit. I was dubious about only being bonded in four corners, but, once on, you don't really know they were not the original finish ?

For me the fact they are matt finish black makes as much difference as much as the white legend, it doesn't look like a toy keyboard any more ! and.. because I can see all the legend now, I'm more encouraged to program it without shining a special light towards it and getting my specs on to see what the hell I'm doing ? .. whoever designed the top layout on this thing from Roland should have been sacked long ago ! .. it was a design disaster for a very capable machine.

Still fancy the white overlay from synth graphics tho .... they look real sexy
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

bigmuz7 wrote:Just got my free Roland ones yesterday and got them on. They are very well made and an excellent fit. I was dubious about only being bonded in four corners, but, once on, you don't really know they were not the original finish ?

For me the fact they are matt finish black makes as much difference as much as the white legend, it doesn't look like a toy keyboard any more ! and.. because I can see all the legend now, I'm more encouraged to program it without shining a special light towards it and getting my specs on to see what the hell I'm doing ? .. whoever designed the top layout on this thing from Roland should have been sacked long ago ! .. it was a design disaster for a very capable machine.

Still fancy the white overlay from synth graphics tho .... they look real sexy
How difficult is it to remove the caps and sliders and getting them back on again? I am a bit worried about breaking them or not being able to get them back on again once the overlays are on...

/// Tom
glynbo

Post by glynbo »

Hi Tom,
I used a spoon with the cupped bottom on a cloth and gently levered the sliders upwards and they came off easily, you do not need to remove the knobs unless you are replacing them though mate. They push back on easily as well.

Cheers,
Glyn.
bigmuz7

Post by bigmuz7 »

Yes .. easy enough although some were definitely tighter than others. One tip I would recommend is to move all the sliders to the top or bottom of their track, I am minded the mechanism will be better supported at the end of each track, rather than forcing the cap off whilst its in the middle of the track.
Artmuzz

Post by Artmuzz »

I received the JD-XA overlays through the post a couple of weeks ago and they are very good and make my JD-XA look more like a real synth than a toy synth. The feel of the overlays reminds me of the panel on the original Yamaha DX7 where the membranes are and the panel on the Roland JX-8P.
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

I recieved mine today. With the black and white slider tabs it looks really good.