Roland s overlays.

Forum for the JD-XA.
glynbo

Re: Roland s overlays.

Post by glynbo »

Jdoo wrote:<boom>

Mine showed up today! Am tied up with some other stuff, so haven't really had an opportunity to look them over... But they're here. Sorry folks in the UK and some other places seem to be running a little later than other parts of the world. US owners should be able to follow the link I posted above and get theirs in less than a week..

Joe
Good to hear Jdoo, post some pictures please mate when you have time, would like to see them in place. Cheer, Glyn.
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

Hi Glyn -

They look just like the install video / photos that are out on Facebook (i.e. non-shiny, with white lettering. Here is a snap of the back of one of the pieces, along with a snap of the order form .. which has the part number. No time to install them today, but there are pics on the internet of these on Roland's FaceBook page.

atb
Joe
IMG_3191.JPG
IMG_3191.JPG (152.55 KiB) Viewed 3399 times
IMG_3192.JPG
IMG_3192.JPG (157.63 KiB) Viewed 3399 times
overlays.JPG
overlays.JPG (67.47 KiB) Viewed 3397 times
glynbo wrote:
Jdoo wrote:<boom>

Mine showed up today! Am tied up with some other stuff, so haven't really had an opportunity to look them over... But they're here. Sorry folks in the UK and some other places seem to be running a little later than other parts of the world. US owners should be able to follow the link I posted above and get theirs in less than a week..

Joe
Good to hear Jdoo, post some pictures please mate when you have time, would like to see them in place. Cheer, Glyn.
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

Install took around 10 minutes. Mostly because I was being careful about alignment and such. The install video that Roland has out there, helped. Only adhesive is in the corners. Before pulling the circular bits that cover the adhesive, I put all 5 pieces on my JD-XA to check overall alignment. Then I worked from the inside pieces outwards. Easy-peasy.
IMG_3194.JPG
IMG_3194.JPG (708.03 KiB) Viewed 3365 times
IMG_3195.JPG
IMG_3195.JPG (759.28 KiB) Viewed 3365 times
glynbo

Post by glynbo »

Looking good Joe, are you going the whole hog and changing the sliders?

Cheers,
Glyn.
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

Thanks Glyn. I would definitely like to add the white tipped sliders. Do you know where they can be ordered? I was unable to find a source for them.
glynbo wrote:Looking good Joe, are you going the whole hog and changing the sliders?

Cheers,
Glyn.
SynthGraphics

Post by SynthGraphics »

Jdoo wrote:Thanks Glyn. I would definitely like to add the white tipped sliders. Do you know where they can be ordered? I was unable to find a source for them.
Hey Joe, the System-1 and TR-8 sliders are exactly the same but white tipped. I'm sure if you contact Roland with a parts requests they could help you out.

Jamie
glynbo

Post by glynbo »

Jdoo wrote:Thanks Glyn. I would definitely like to add the white tipped sliders. Do you know where they can be ordered? I was unable to find a source for them.
glynbo wrote:Looking good Joe, are you going the whole hog and changing the sliders?

Cheers,
Glyn.
I have been looking myself mate, and there are a few like the Roland ones here in the UK and I would think many more over in the USA. Here they are £15 to replace the slider and about £23 to replace the smaller Knobs from a Electronic supply firm.

Cheers,
Glyn.
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

Hey Jamie -

Thanks for the heads up. Bummer about parts requests (that I have found anyway), is the first thing the page presents you with is a drop-down list of all your registered products. :D I have neither the TR-8 or System 1 devices. I put in the request under the my JD-XA, but tried to spell out exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully they will read it correctly.

Thanks Glyn. For $15 or $20.. even with the exchange rates, I would go for it... If that included all 18 of the sliders I need. I found a site selling parts for other Roland models. E.G. http://shop.rolandus.com/p/j-r-knob?pp=24 is a knob... that costs $ 4.60 for a single knob. :o If they had similarly priced sliders.. it would cost > $82 for the set. I'd like white striped sliders... but not at that price. :D Anyway - I'll let you know what Roland says re: my request for white striped sliders...
glynbo

Post by glynbo »

Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

Hey Glyn -

Hopefully those will do the trick for you. I heard back from Roland parts. Yikes... The sliders are normally $4.60 a piece. They offered me a discount to $2.75 per slider. With tax and shipping - my price was north of $60. I am going to pass. :) The overlays look great.. and the red accented sliders kind of blend in with the other (flashing) red bits -- so I am set.

For anyone interested in the overlays.. They look fantastic. They sit flush with everything on the 'XA. Even with red accented sliders, they make the 'XA look a lot better..
glynbo

Post by glynbo »

Hi all,

anyone planning on buying new knobs to replace the standard one`s, make sure the `D` shaft has the flat section furthest away from the indicator line/mark not opposite or the indicator is in the wrong place (I brought some and found out). The ones Roland use are not the normal way round!

Cheers,
Glyn.
glynbo

Post by glynbo »

Hi all,

finally got my overlays and what an improvement, looks and views so much better, looks great with my latest synth (pressie from my daughter, lucky me).

Cheers,
Glyn.
Attachments
JD-XA.JPG
JD-XA.JPG (1.22 MiB) Viewed 3221 times
OneOfManyPauls

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

Glyn, are the slider caps you went with in the end the ones you linked to earlier in this thread? Are you happy with them? Cheers.
OneOfManyPauls

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

Quick update - as the slider caps were only a shade over £5 delivered for 20, I bought them as a punt. They're smaller, more of a cheaper shiny hard plastic, and they sit a bit higher - but they make it easier to read the slider positions and they go better with the overlays imo. Thanks for posting about them Glyn.
sliders.jpg
sliders.jpg (155.32 KiB) Viewed 3169 times
jdxa_2.jpg
jdxa_2.jpg (753.83 KiB) Viewed 3169 times
glynbo

Post by glynbo »

Cheers Paul, sorry I did`nt respond to earlier post only just read it all. They are a#pretty good for the money I thought too. Cheers Glyn.