Origins of the Digital Osc Waveforms

Forum for the JD-XA.
darthvidar

Origins of the Digital Osc Waveforms

Post by darthvidar »

Is there a place where one can read more detailed descriptions of each of the 450 Digital Osc Waveforms? Especially, I'd love to know their pedigree/origins, e.g. if some of them stem from other (vintage) synths.

I suspect there is a bias toward Roland classics, but it would also be interesting to know if any of these waveforms are designed to replicate "un-Roland-y" synths such as PPG/Waldorf Wave, (Yamaha) FM synths, Fairlight, etc.
SynthGraphics

Re: Origins of the Digital Osc Waveforms

Post by SynthGraphics »

darthvidar wrote:Is there a place where one can read more detailed descriptions of each of the 450 Digital Osc Waveforms? Especially, I'd love to know their pedigree/origins, e.g. if some of them stem from other (vintage) synths.

I suspect there is a bias toward Roland classics, but it would also be interesting to know if any of these waveforms are designed to replicate "un-Roland-y" synths such as PPG/Waldorf Wave, (Yamaha) FM synths, Fairlight, etc.
Seems most originate from the JV / XP line from what I can tell. I've been able to re-program several of my JV-2080 synth patches into the JD-XA easily. The digital engine itself is the Jupiter-80/50/Integra-7 supernatural synth engine, which is why it will load synth patches from those synths.
darthvidar

Post by darthvidar »

Here is a response I got from a Facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/rolandjdxa/pos ... %22R%22%7D

"Roland JD-XA lots of them have clues in the names, some are from the JD-800, jupiter 8 etc. Some from Prophet 5 (the basic waves). If you look for the integra supernatural *synth* sounds that is what's in the JD-XA (none of the supernatural acoustic set). You may get a list there. Or maybe it's in the manual probably the 2nd download only manual with more details. I can't recall (this is not an official page I just own a JD-XA)"
CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

As I could identify on wave list, some waves from:
Yamaha DX7
Moog
Roland D50
Roland Fantom series
Roland XP50
Attachments
LIST.xlsx
(17.47 KiB) Downloaded 944 times
darthvidar

Post by darthvidar »

Thanks for compiling the list! I've created a Google sheet with it, and opened it up for editing by anyone (hopefully not a horrible idea). Let's treat it like a Wiki and add suggestions to where we think the waves originate and perhaps some sound design tips ideas for each one.

Here it is: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

SynthGraphics wrote:The digital engine itself is the Jupiter-80/50/Integra-7 supernatural synth engine, which is why it will load synth patches from those synths.
I know the FA can use Integra patches as it has the integra chipset, but are you saying you can use Axial patches for the Jupiter and Intergra on the XA too!? Mind blown if so.
CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

darthvidar wrote:Thanks for compiling the list! I've created a Google sheet with it, and opened it up for editing by anyone (hopefully not a horrible idea). Let's treat it like a Wiki and add suggestions to where we think the waves originate and perhaps some sound design tips ideas for each one.

Here it is: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Great idea!
darthvidar

Post by darthvidar »

Myrk- wrote:
SynthGraphics wrote:The digital engine itself is the Jupiter-80/50/Integra-7 supernatural synth engine, which is why it will load synth patches from those synths.
I know the FA can use Integra patches as it has the integra chipset, but are you saying you can use Axial patches for the Jupiter and Intergra on the XA too!? Mind blown if so.
The way I understand it, is that you can import the synth tones (not acoustic, etc.) from patches of other Supernatural based synths.