How to create MIDI Triggers using the sequencer?

Forum for the JD-XA.
horisonten

How to create MIDI Triggers using the sequencer?

Post by horisonten »

From what I've heard this synth is supposed to be able to be the MIDI master keyboard in a setup involving alot of external gear.

I am trying to setup a couple of the sequencer tracks in MIDI CTRL mode to perform "parameter locks" or "midi triggers" which activates the recording and playback of my external looper via MIDI.
My loopers "Loop 1" reacts to MIDI CC 3 on MIDI channel 5 (hardwired, can't be changed). I can indeed get the JD-XAs different knobs to start the recording when they are set to CC 3 and turned. But I need this to be automated to the 1 when I unmute the sequencer track...

So how on earth do I record a "trigger" which sends out CC 3 on the first step in the sequencer track (which is set to Midi Channel 5)? The amount or value of the CC 3 that is sent is not important, since the looper reacts to a value increases/decreases of 1 (in the 0-127 scale).

I have tried to fiddle with the Step Recording function. I have recorded a keyboard note on step 1 and tried to make a "parameter lock" using the knob that is set to CC3 (the keyboard note is set to zero volume so that it doesn't send out sound, only MIDI). I read somewhere that, while in step rec mode, holding down a lit up step in the sequencer and turning knobs will change them (like on Elektron machines)... Nothing seems to work.

So what am I doing wrong?
Coorec

Re: How to create MIDI Triggers using the sequencer?

Post by Coorec »

Many seem to have problems to get p-locks to work. It works for me, if there is enough sequencer memory left. You cant check that besides seeing wethere it works or not.

However, one thing is important and different to whats in the manual. when you go into step mode to record paramters.. you press once, the button lits or unlits .. then you do it AGAIN.. onyl then it will work .. no clue why.. probably a bit buggy.

2nd thing. Make sure your sequencer data is actually leaving the XA. Mine didnt on channel 5. You have to change a setting in sequencer mode. Cant exactly remmeber where it was, but basically you can set a sequencer track to internal, external or both .. track 5 (channel 5) is set to internal by default. You need to change that setting to external.
SynthGraphics

Post by SynthGraphics »

Trigger Mode is VERY overlooked tool on the JD-XA. I use mine to control my TR-8's Scatter Mode and the System-1's Bit crusher (sending a exact value so it jumps to that setting), and trigger one-shot samples on the S-760.

But like you I wish you could program each button to a specific MIDI channel and ran into the exact same problem. My work around was to enter MIDI CTRL mode and then Trigger Mode. By doing this I can reassign the 9-16 MIDI channels as needed.

Example:

1. I have a JD-XA analog bass line on PART 1 - MIDI channel #1.
2. Turn SOUND: local switch to OFF (you need to loop the MIDI back into the JD-XA)
3. Enter MIDI CTRL, change 9 to MIDI channel #1. Make sure ONLY the green button is lit.
4. Now enter TRIGGER MODE.
5. Now hit 10 and make sure ONLY the blue button is lit.

Now the knobs and trigger buttons are sending on MIDI channel #10 and the keyboard is sending on #1 (back into itself). You can now play your bass line on #1 AND send triggers on #10 at the same time.

I have my System-1 CC commands on #11, so to trigger those I only need to hit #11 blue button.

Hope that's not too confusing in my explanation.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

That's some full on witch-craft going on there Jamie! I'll have to check out the full midi controller aspect on the weekend when I have some time... curious if it can split the keyboard and pitch shift different midi outputs independently...