MIDI issues!

Forum for the JD-XA.
cellardore

MIDI issues!

Post by cellardore »

Hi,

When using the jd xa keyboard to record midi for a vst for example, it records 4 layers of each note. Any idea how to stop this?

Also when recording in midi for the jd xa, If I want to add layers or take away layers the midi doesn't respond to this and just plays the same layers. I don't want to have to set every layer to midi channel 1 every patch i make.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
JD Knight

Re: MIDI issues!

Post by JD Knight »

cellardore wrote:Hi,

When using the jd xa keyboard to record midi for a vst for example, it records 4 layers of each note. Any idea how to stop this?
you maybe got stack mode for the analog synth turned on?
cellardore wrote: Also when recording in midi for the jd xa, If I want to add layers or take away layers the midi doesn't respond to this and just plays the same layers. I don't want to have to set every layer to midi channel 1 every patch i make.

store a program with all layers set to the same midi channel either to last on board patch number or to an USB stick (just two suggestions ) . each time you create a new patch you use this pre-configured patch to start.
Coorec

Re: MIDI issues!

Post by Coorec »

cellardore wrote:Hi,

Also when recording in midi for the jd xa, If I want to add layers or take away layers the midi doesn't respond to this and just plays the same layers. I don't want to have to set every layer to midi channel 1 every patch i make.

Some DAWs can multitrack midi, most cant.
what you see is.. you play 4 parts on 4 midichannels and your DAW records them all into the same track ..

deselect all parts until you have only 1 .. It will then record only 1 ...

I usually just switch to a free channel in midi mode and play VSTs with it. This way it doesnt compromise with the 8 parts on the XA and most importantly you can use the knobs to remote control your VST plugin.