Analogue poly issue

Forum for the JD-XA.
cellardore

Analogue poly issue

Post by cellardore »

Hi,

The analogue engine seems to sometimes only let me plat 2 voices at a time, then it will let me play 3, and sometimes i can play 4.

Its random. This issues comes up when creating new patches.

Can anyone shed light on whats happening here?

Thanks
runningman67

Re: Analogue poly issue

Post by runningman67 »

Hi
Are all four red lights on when you press polystack?
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

..and are you connected to a computer / DAW when this happens? Or have you dinked around with the various settings for connected to a computer? I seem to recall having set something which caused voices to be doubled up, eating polyphony at some point early on.
cellardore

Post by cellardore »

Jdoo wrote:..and are you connected to a computer / DAW when this happens? Or have you dinked around with the various settings for connected to a computer? I seem to recall having set something which caused voices to be doubled up, eating polyphony at some point early on.
Yes I am connected via USB to logic. Did you manage to figure out the issue? Thanks
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

cellardore wrote:
Jdoo wrote:..and are you connected to a computer / DAW when this happens? Or have you dinked around with the various settings for connected to a computer? I seem to recall having set something which caused voices to be doubled up, eating polyphony at some point early on.
Yes I am connected via USB to logic. Did you manage to figure out the issue? Thanks
Yes. I absolutely was able to get full polyphony / find the source of Logic<->JDXA polyphony eating. I am on vacation, and don't have access to my systems though. I read about the settings either here, or on a thread on Gearslutz. I think it was RonF or VennDiagram (maybe both?) who were discussing the settings. Sorry I can't be of more help right now. Will look when I get back from vacation. In the meantime though - you should search for JD-XA settings for Logic Pro. I know Logic Pro changed the way you setup external instruments fairly recently (in the last year or two), where you dont have to dive into the Environment stuff anymore (which has always been a little convoluted, imo). You still have to setup MIDI devices, IIRC.. but you do that outside of Logic Pro... then use "External Instrument" (https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox ... rojector=1) to hook up Logic to the JDXA as MIDI-Audio. The deal is -- there is a setting or two in the JD-XA which you need to make, which will prevent it from looping the MIDI out from Logic Pro.. back into your JD-XA. That's the bit I can't remember. Again though - you should be able to find it by searching a bit. I don't think I put the the magic sauce in the tips doc: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/219 ... 0BKMs.docx . But will... later. :) G'luck -

Aloha

Joe
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

cellardore wrote:
This happens also to me due to the rather complex MIDI implementation of the JD-XA (which I still haven't been able to fully figure out, as the manual is sadly inadequate).

But here is how I do it (I am using Cubase, so you will have to translate the relevant parts to Logic):

1) I assign the analog parts and the digital parts in the JD-XA to different MIDI channels (the analog parts to channel 1 and the digital parts to to channel 2). This of course only works when you want to play in Poly Stack Mode with some digital voices providing some extra body or sparkle to the analog voices)

2) When recording to Cubase, make sure to switch the Local Switch of the JD-XA to OFF (in the SYSTEM / SOUND menu)

3) In Cubase, make sure that the MIDI assignment to the JD-XA MIDI track is "Any". If you set it to a specific channel, you will lose the polyphony analog voices stacking effects.

Now as you play, you can hear the voices correctly, and everything is also recorded in Cubase correctly and can be played back to the JD-XA just as you played. Each MIDI event is recorded twice (one for channel 1 and one for channel 2), but the JD-XA is perfectly able to handle it

/// Tom
cellardore

Post by cellardore »

mimoid wrote:
cellardore wrote:
This happens also to me due to the rather complex MIDI implementation of the JD-XA (which I still haven't been able to fully figure out, as the manual is sadly inadequate).

But here is how I do it (I am using Cubase, so you will have to translate the relevant parts to Logic):

1) I assign the analog parts and the digital parts in the JD-XA to different MIDI channels (the analog parts to channel 1 and the digital parts to to channel 2). This of course only works when you want to play in Poly Stack Mode with some digital voices providing some extra body or sparkle to the analog voices)

2) When recording to Cubase, make sure to switch the Local Switch of the JD-XA to OFF (in the SYSTEM / SOUND menu)

3) In Cubase, make sure that the MIDI assignment to the JD-XA MIDI track is "Any". If you set it to a specific channel, you will lose the polyphony analog voices stacking effects.

Now as you play, you can hear the voices correctly, and everything is also recorded in Cubase correctly and can be played back to the JD-XA just as you played. Each MIDI event is recorded twice (one for channel 1 and one for channel 2), but the JD-XA is perfectly able to handle it

/// Tom

Yes thank you, turning Local Switch off worked.