Analog Goodness

Forum for the JD-XA.
Jdoo

Analog Goodness

Post by Jdoo »

JD-XA Analog Side..

Not enough is written about this. :) Each of the four analog voices, is comprised of 2 oscillators , can be Cross Mod, Ring Mod or OSC Sync’d. There is a pitch envelop, 2 LFOs, Mod LFP, then this one analog voice is routed out through a drive, the analog filters their envelopes, a high pass filter, then through the AMP and it’s envelop over to multi-effects for this one part, it’s EQ — then onto join up with the other three analog parts, and the four digital parts.

You can create four uniquely sounding analog ‘parts’, and use them together as a huge monophonic analog synth bit… or… you can create massive layered, alternate-tuned parts that compliment one another for even wider, richer monophonic synth bits.

You can hit the Poly Stack button just left of the analog parts, and have a four voice polyphonic synth bit for the analog part you created. What (imo) isn’t talked about enough - is this is for just ONE of the analog parts. The JD-XA uses the internal routing, and magic - to build out the four voices of analog goodness for the selected analog part. Thing is, you still have three additional analog parts, that can be created. These can be completely different sounding analog parts. These cannot be played on top of the other polyphonic analog parts… however — they are like having three additional polyphonic analog parts that you can choose, in a single program. That is - a single program in the JD-XA, can have four different sounding four voice polyphonic patches within it. I recently created a program with Cello, which has in it’s analog section - four distinctly sounding parts. Brass, String, Pluck, and Brass II. Along with these, complimentary digital strings, brass, voicing, parts which filled out the polyphony (when wanted / needed). Hitting the Poly Stack... and selecting any one of the analog parts - is like hearing a different analog synth.. All within the same program.

Something which is overlooked IMO. The ability to create patches within Programs, comprised of different analog and digital parts is part of the JD-XA’s secret sauce. The four voice polyphony of a 2 oscillator analog part is just the tip of (one of the many) JDXA’s icebergs. There is a lot floating below the surface, that goes under looked..
SynthGraphics

Re: Analog Goodness

Post by SynthGraphics »

Jdoo wrote:....you still have three additional analog parts, that can be created. These can be completely different sounding analog parts. These cannot be played on top of the other polyphonic analog parts… however — they are like having three additional polyphonic analog parts that you can choose, in a single program. That is - a single program in the JD-XA, can have four different sounding four voice polyphonic patches within it. I recently created a program with Cello, which has in it’s analog section - four distinctly sounding parts. Brass, String, Pluck, and Brass II. Along with these, complimentary digital strings, brass, voicing, parts which filled out the polyphony (when wanted / needed). Hitting the Poly Stack... and selecting any one of the analog parts - is like hearing a different analog synth.. All within the same program.

Something which is overlooked IMO. The ability to create patches within Programs, comprised of different analog and digital parts is part of the JD-XA’s secret sauce. The four voice polyphony of a 2 oscillator analog part is just the tip of (one of the many) JDXA’s icebergs. There is a lot floating below the surface, that goes under looked..
I use that trick all the time! I usually have 4 variations of one sound, then I can change them out during each section of the song Verse, Chorus, Breakdown, etc. Extremely handy!! Also works well while writing.
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

SynthGraphics wrote:...

I use that trick all the time! I usually have 4 variations of one sound, then I can change them out during each section of the song Verse, Chorus, Breakdown, etc. Extremely handy!! Also works well while writing.
Exactly Jamie.
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Spot on. It's another huge part of enjoying this synth.
I've built a patch which starts as a single female choir voice tone and as I add the other three digital tones and then add a poly stack analogue set, it turns into a full blown choir with strings and square wave beauty. At which point if I looked in the mirror whilst playing, I would probably look barking mad.
glynbo

Post by glynbo »

Hi all, totally aggree, the analog engines are imense. I have bee recreating patches from my Sub 37 in my JD-XA with great success, so much so the moog may have to go. It really shows that the JD-XA is a much under hyped synth that we are all lucky enough on here to own. Cheers Glyn.
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Hi. I would say that the JDXA is a very personal synth. The fact that there are few factory patches, forces you to explore it. Otherwise it really isn't going to be appreciated.
Then it really does become a bespoke super synth.
I bet if we all put our synths together in one room, bank A preset 1 would all be very different. :)
OneOfManyPauls

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

glynbo wrote:Hi all, totally aggree, the analog engines are imense. I have bee recreating patches from my Sub 37 in my JD-XA with great success, so much so the moog may have to go. It really shows that the JD-XA is a much under hyped synth that we are all lucky enough on here to own. Cheers Glyn.
I have a sub 37 too, but i find the jd-xa's modulation sources/destinations to be extremely basic in comparison. Sub 37 patches would have to be pretty simple in terms of construction to be replicable on the jd-xa.

I wish we could set the LFO and envelope destinations in the same way and to the same destinations (plus a few more) that we can do for the controller wheels.

I'd love to be able to modulate the filter depth/decay with an LFO, or modulate crossmod with an envelope for example.

Looping envelopes in the analog section would be nice too.
glynbo

Post by glynbo »

Aggree with you on that Paul, but myself I can not own synths that basically sound the same. The JD-XA can sound so similar to the Sub in its basic sound I use that more. Cheers Glyn.
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

I was asked in a PM to provide an example program with Digital augmenting Analog polyphony... Attached is a Program, that i use as starter yeast for 80's brass-heavy cover tunes (Journey - Separate Ways, Van Halen - Jump, etc). This is a very basic patch. The 4 note polyphony of the analog part, never comes into play, as the digital section overlaps those parts.

Analog 1: Synth Brass. This is used in Poly Stack mode
Digital 1: Synth Brass <-- these bits fill in polyphony for the Analog 1 poly..
Digital 3: Keys to punch up intro (upper octaves only)

Point of this patch / post though, is to show one of the (easier?) ways that the JD-XA's 4 part analog bits don't hold back this synth from full keyboard richness. and... the four Analog parts are all different (point of my first post) - so hitting part 2 is another brass, part 3 pluck, 4 a pluck-pad.
separateWaz.zip
(3.61 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
https://youtu.be/9jgQrVkJ6wk unfortunately -- this setup was unconnected to my DAW, so it's recorded to an iPhone off speaker... At the end of the quick play, I play the analog part and hit > 4 keys, then add digital, and bang out 9-10 keys. The digital part(s) in the example, are just fillers for the analog.
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Great work Jdoo. Quality. Nearly blew my windows out !

I don't really use brass but I can definitely use the Analogue no. 1 as a quality lead sound. Can't believe how full it sounds just off the one Analogue part. Great use of the effects.
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

Thx runningman67