Things that may actually be possible. Not a redesign of the body, screen etc

1. 8 or more patterns on the sequencer.

2. Seamless chaining of patterns like the JD Xi

3. More drum options.
OneOfManyPauls

Re: Wish List for the JD XA.

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

Above all else for me: a decent editor.

I'm getting tired of the menu diving, and all those sliders and knobs are great, but given the huge scope of the synth, they're pretty much never in sync with the underlying thing I'm editing.
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

+1 editor

To be clearer, in my case... My FA-06 built-in editor, shows the values of settings, as I am editing. It also shows all related settings on a page. It is leaps more convenient, than editing on my JD-XA, where I have to hold the exit button, and move a single knob at a time, just to see it's value while editing. An external editor, that could read settings while you are editing, and display them -- would be a huge time-saver. It would also, help avoid mistakes (I still... often will tweak an unselected setting accidentally.) :)
zombietactics

Post by zombietactics »

Just goes to show ... horses for courses. I really dislike editing & patch creation on my FA-06 ... seriously needs a iPad editor like the Jupiter-80.

In contrast the JD-XA is very immediate and straight forward, IMHO.
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

Yep. Different strokes and all. :) I mostly want the ease of balancing all eight parts and their settings on a single screen (ala FA). Not a limitation... because you can easily work around it - it's just a convenience piece that I would have liked. Short of that (and since there isn't a larger LCD on the XA to work with) - it would be nice to have that in an external editor..
OneOfManyPauls

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

In contrast the JD-XA is very immediate and straight forward, IMHO.
I guess it depends on how we use the jd-xa.

If I'm using different patches for different parts, then the moment I select a different part to edit, those physical sliders and knobs count for nothing in terms of knowing how things are set up for that part. A decent editor would give an instant visual overview that can enhance workflow with the physical sliders - the moog sub 37 editor is a prime example of doing this well.

That said, the jd-xa controls work fine if I'm just tweaking an existing part or if I'm creating a poly stack/unison patch in manual mode.

I don't find menu diving via the tiny 2 line display for non-physical-controller functions fun.
zombietactics

Post by zombietactics »

OneOfManyPauls wrote:...
I don't find menu diving via the tiny 2 line display for non-physical-controller functions fun.
That, plus often having only +/- buttons to alter parameters ... worst design decision on the JD-XA.
HaveIt

Post by HaveIt »

Complete the sequencer, that's all I ask. A few short cuts for stuff like legate on/off would be nice too. It's difficult to be that hard on the JD-XA, it got so many things right. It opened up synth programming, it practically ditched the idea of presets and patches precisely because you will be programming it yourself.
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

HaveIt wrote:Complete the sequencer, that's all I ask. A few short cuts for stuff like legate on/off would be nice too. It's difficult to be that hard on the JD-XA, it got so many things right. It opened up synth programming, it practically ditched the idea of presets and patches precisely because you will be programming it yourself.

+1 :)
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

zombietactics wrote:
That, plus often having only +/- buttons to alter parameters ... worst design decision on the JD-XA.
I agree, having to endlessly keep prodding those +/-buttons bring back very unpleasant memories of my early 80's synths... Not even a scroll wheel, really annoying.

/// Tom
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

mimoid wrote:
zombietactics wrote:
I agree, having to endlessly keep prodding those +/-buttons bring back very unpleasant memories of my early 80's synths... Not even a scroll wheel, really annoying.

Is the System 8 different Tom ?
/// Tom