Why should I get a JD-XA?

Forum for the JD-XA.
middle c

Re: Why should I get a JD-XA?

Post by middle c »

Strolled over here, due to no activity on the Fantom G sub and really need some help, In my Roland stash is an XP30, V synth v2 and a G8, also a Korg MS2000B but really intrigued with the JD-XA, Do I start selling?
If the JD-XA had HDMI that would cure small screen with additional audio.
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Hi
You have a lot of gear. I would try the JD XA before you buy it.
It is what it is. The next update will be interesting.
Quick analogy.

The XA is the punky girlfriend where everybody else questions your relationship but once you really get to know her, she's damn unique and special.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Middle C - You listed a load of workstations and are comparing them to a hybrid analogue/digital synth... You know the functionality of these 2 systems are totally different right? JD-XA is not a replacement to any of your gear.
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

HaveIt wrote:4 x separate Dual DCO analog mono synths with a pattern sequencer for each
4 x separate 3 Osc digital poly synths with pattern sequencer for each
8 x midi controller parts with pattern sequencer for each
I've seen this -- "4 x separate Dual DCO analog mono synths with a pattern sequencer for each" -- or variations of it a number of times over the past few weeks, and it really has lit a bit of a lightbulb above my head about the capabilities of the XA. In large part because of Roland's own marketing, I think a lot of people look at the analog aspect and think, "4? Crippled polyphonic analog", rather than, "Wow, 4 dual OSC analog monos".

So, I have a question related to this, and one of the oft-cited weaknesses of the XA sequencers; that is, the inability to switch between Programs while the sequencer is playing. If one of the reasons one might want to do so is to transit between variations in a single tune (like intro, verse, chorus, etc.), would it not be possible to do this within the same Program?

Let's say you wanted to use the 4 analog parts and give them the same Tone, like a bass. Then you give assign separate patterns and notes to each. Could you not just set it up like Analog 1=Intro, Analog 2=Verse, Analog 2=Chorus, and just hit play and easily turn those parts on and off as needed to create a progression?

Can those other 8 MIDI controller parts be targeted internally, providing even more variation? Or are they hardwired by channel # or something else to only be useful for external commands?

I'm just thinking about the way I build songs on the JD-Xi. A single tune (for me) usually consists of 2-4 Programs, and I just switch between them when I need the sequence to change. But that's because I can do this in the Xi, and because each Program only has 2 Digital parts and 1 Analog part (and one pattern each). Switching between Programs is a way to extend and introduce variation on the Xi.

But with so many parts available in a single JD-XA Program, it seems I wouldn't feel the need to switch between Programs if I can just activate/deactivate parts on the fly. Is this possibly the case?
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

I see your point. Yes I suppose it's possible.
The XA is a wonderful synth but the sequencer can be a bit frustrating. Pattern chaining would be a wonderful addition.