I have an FA-08 and a Sub37, would a JDXA be overkill?

Forum for the JD-XA.
drcloud93

I have an FA-08 and a Sub37, would a JDXA be overkill?

Post by drcloud93 »

Hi. I'm currently in the market for another Synth for my rig, something to handle Wakeman or Rudess like profit lead lines. I really love the old JD-800's but they're hard to come by(and as I've heard, hard to maintain). I currently have a Fa-08 as my main board, and a Moog Sub 37 for the, well, Moog sound. Would investing in the JD-XA be worth it, or would my current setup already cover what the JD-XA could do for me. I appreciate any input. Thanks!
Jdoo

Re: I have an FA-08 and a Sub37, would a JDXA be overkill?

Post by Jdoo »

drcloud93 wrote:Hi. I'm currently in the market for another Synth for my rig, something to handle Wakeman or Rudess like profit lead lines. I really love the old JD-800's but they're hard to come by(and as I've heard, hard to maintain). I currently have a Fa-08 as my main board, and a Moog Sub 37 for the, well, Moog sound. Would investing in the JD-XA be worth it, or would my current setup already cover what the JD-XA could do for me. I appreciate any input. Thanks!
Little to no overlap, between the FA and XA sonic signitures. I had the same question 5-6 months ago, having a FA-06. Didn't want to pickup a keyboard that had a bunch of overlap with the FA. The JD-XA is a great complimentary keyboard to the FA. Especially, if you're looking to beef up leads... but even pads, and poly synth stuff. Dunno about the Sub37 though.
zombietactics

Post by zombietactics »

On paper, SuperNatural synth engine of the JD-XA appears identical to the SuperNatural synth engine on the FA series. (Of course the FA series has pianos and other acoustic sounds, as well as an extensive PCM soundset ... and it's up-gradable through downloadable, PCM-based sound packs)

In practice the synth section of the JD-XA sounds very different than that of the FA series. I am not even saying "better", just different. The FA is an excellent workhorse, but the JD-XA achieves something a bit more analog in character ... and not only when using the analog section.

Having recently purchased a DSI Prophet 8, I am surprised how close the JD-XA can get to producing those sounds ... really, close ... in ways which seem impossible to achieve on the FA. I am something of a Prophet purist, so no, it's not perfect.

The immediacy of programming the JD-XA, as well as the analog section, boosts it even further into a league of its own. It compliments the FA very well, as it would any other workstation-style keyboard. Keep in mind that the sequencer section of the FA will control the JD-XA very nicely over MIDI.

The Sub-37 is essentially the same - sound-wise - as my SubPhatty. However, it has a much better set of controls and keyboard. It's a Moog ... nothing else sounds like a Moog. It cuts through a mix in ways nothing else can. So yes ... it'll work great with an FA and JD-XA.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Yer the digital engines are the same on the FA and the XA... the XA you're just getting 4 analogues that are different in architecture. Honestly the digital is identical, theres nothing "special" or "different", it's just how people use it in combination with the analogue provides a different overall sound. There's also different effects and filters that the digital can be passed through which can give it a different sound to the FA. One person described it something like the digital being the icing and sprinkles on the cake. As a guitarist I view it like running your guitar through a full valve amp and a PC modelled amp at the same time, giving a larger spectrum sound.

I heard from another topic that you can use the XA as a midi programmer for the FA which is really handy given the lack of software or decent physical controls. I have both but never tried this (the FA now lives in a different room).

The sequencer section of the FA was good, but I remember having numerous issues when trying to use it as a hardware controller for the XA. It actually worked better the other way round, but that was kinda pointless.
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

Sorry to disagree with Myrk's post, but I may be misreading it.. So in the interest of clarity. :) ..

The FA series Digital side, has SuperNATURAL acoustic (including articulations, which provide pretty great pianos, and other acoustic bits (not available on the XA). SuperNATURAL Synth that can also use some PCM as oscillators (these parts are the same on the JD-XA.. less the PCM mix). PCM Synth (rompler stuff, not available in the XA). PCM Drum Kit (also not available on the XA). So there are quite a load of Digital bits available in the FA series, that you can't get on the JD-XA. It *does* however, nicely compliment a JD-XA.

The JD-XA does have the four additional analog parts (2 oscillators per part) that can be combined / mixed with its SuperNATURAL synth parts.

They also differ pretty significantly in other ways... but from a Digital perspective, they are not identical.
Myrk- wrote:Yer the digital engines are the same on the FA and the XA... the XA you're just getting 4 analogues that are different in architecture. Honestly the digital is identical, theres nothing "special" or "different", it's just how people use it in combination with the analogue provides a different overall sound. There's also different effects and filters that the digital can be passed through which can give it a different sound to the FA. One person described it something like the digital being the icing and sprinkles on the cake. As a guitarist I view it like running your guitar through a full valve amp and a PC modelled amp at the same time, giving a larger spectrum sound.

I heard from another topic that you can use the XA as a midi programmer for the FA which is really handy given the lack of software or decent physical controls. I have both but never tried this (the FA now lives in a different room).

The sequencer section of the FA was good, but I remember having numerous issues when trying to use it as a hardware controller for the XA. It actually worked better the other way round, but that was kinda pointless.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

True, the FA has supernatural - I did kinda ignore that factor, but as he's buying an XA I'm comparing back to the FA rather than the other way around, as he would no doubt be interested in new features he's adding. But your post does add more clarity to someone who doesn't have both like the OP, thanks :D
Inkog

Post by Inkog »

I'll add that the XA makes a great controller for the FA, giving you aftertouch and a full control surface for the FA synth engine that can be a pain to program via menu diving. The FA gives you a nice(er) keybed, a proper sequencer, and some more octaves for the XA. They make a great pair!