JDXA is my first synth...tips?

Forum for the JD-XA.
analogharmony

JDXA is my first synth...tips?

Post by analogharmony »

Hey all...synth newbie here. I've been playing music for over 25 years and studying piano/keyboards heavily for the last 4 years. I've recently caught the analog synth bug in a major way and finally saved enough cash for what I hope will be a good learning tool...the JDXA.

It started when a buddy loaned me his Moog Voyager which sounded truly amazing, but I wanted polyphony. I really dig analog tone, but also appreciate what the digital realm has to offer. After MUCH searching around and trying as many synths as I could get my hands on, I settled on the JDXA as it seems like it has A LOT of growing room.

Anyway, sorry for the long winded explanation...I'm just stoked to embark on this new challenge! My request is for anyone to please send any and all tips, tricks, and/or links for learning that you may have; either specifically for the JDXA, or for synth sound shaping in general. My synth arrives tomorrow (if all goes well) and I know that there will be a long learning curve.

Thanks in advance!
cello

Re: JDXA is my first synth...tips?

Post by cello »

Welcome to the JD-XA owners club and to the Clan! :)

I've attached a document which is 42 pages of JD-XA goodness (AKA Best Known Methods) which fellow Clan member, Jdoo, collated from multiple online sources. Some great reading that will help you understand the XA better and equip you for a rewarding musical journey.

And there's always folks here that will help if and when you need it.
Attachments
JDXA-BKMs.pdf
(1.39 MiB) Downloaded 382 times
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

Thanks Cello. The document was updated slightly a couple of months ago (just a few additions). It's posted here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ix7j5dyaant7 ... .docx?dl=0 . Cello - I've been meaning to send you the update :P

Congrats on your JD-XA analogharmony. If you're looking for general synth programming tips, there are several books / sites that cover a range of topics from theory to practical timbre development. I found "PowerTools for Synthesizer Programming" by Jim Aikin to be a great primer on synth programming.

IMO - the trifecta of online resources for the JD-XA is here on Roland Clans, Gearslutz, and the FaceBook group.

Cheers-
aled

Post by aled »

Congratulations analogharmony. :)

I'm in the same boat as you - a couple of months ago I got a JD-XA as my first ever synth too.

Refining Sound: A Practical Guide To Synthesis And Synthesizers by Brian Shepard has been fantastic in getting me up to speed on the theory and practice of synthesis.

I can heartily recommend this book. It reads very well - you can go cover-to-cover if you want, but it's also VERY comprehensive, so you'll keep coming back to it for years to come.

If you're more of a visual / video learner, then the Udemy.com course Synthesizers and Samplers Explained by Matt Hayes is also great. Probably more accessible than the Shepard book but also very informative.

Good luck with your learning!
analogharmony

Post by analogharmony »

Excellent...thanks so much guys. I read a lot and so will definitely pick up your recommended books.

Jdoo...what a great compilation. Nice work.

Thanks again guys. I look forward to diving in. See you on the other side.
analogharmony

Post by analogharmony »

Also, anyone know if Synthgraphics will be doing another run on those sweet matte overlays? I want one bad!

It seems he's kind of hard to nail down...
aled

Post by aled »

The glossy finish is horrible isn't it!

I'm not sure about the Synthgraphics one, but Roland do a matte overlay which I have. I got it as part of a compensation package from Roland due to buying two faulty JDXA's in a row, but others on here have gotten it for free by contacting Roland.

Apparently the Synthgraphics ones are higher quality, but I find the Roland one fantastic. Very high quality and when applied it looks like it was always part of the synth, not like it's been stuck on.
analogharmony

Post by analogharmony »

Well I plugged in last night and actually got some fun sounds just from presets even tho most folks have complained about the lack of quality presets. Granted, I only played for a little while.

I did have a complete fail in trying to get down to basics with the analog voices. I tried the "shift>enter" function to get the board to function as is on the control surface. I wanted to try and just get a basic wave sound with zero filter etc. and then go from there to learn...couldn't do it. I suppose some menu diving will be necessary? The manual is COMPLETELY useless as I've read other users comment, but wow...really? My popcorn maker has a better manual.

Anyone have any advice on how to just start with a basic saw wave bleep and then start adding filters etc?
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

analogharmony wrote:Well I plugged in last night and actually got some fun sounds just from presets even tho most folks have complained about the lack of quality presets. Granted, I only played for a little while.

I did have a complete fail in trying to get down to basics with the analog voices. I tried the "shift>enter" function to get the board to function as is on the control surface. I wanted to try and just get a basic wave sound with zero filter etc. and then go from there to learn...couldn't do it. I suppose some menu diving will be necessary? The manual is COMPLETELY useless as I've read other users comment, but wow...really? My popcorn maker has a better manual.

Anyone have any advice on how to just start with a basic saw wave bleep and then start adding filters etc?
Start with Shift-Program Select (initialize patch). That is the initialize function. Shift-Enter = set the patch to what the knobs / settings are set to on the control surface of the JD-XA.
analogharmony

Post by analogharmony »

Thanks Jdoo! I bet that works great. I'm sitting in the lodge at my kid's ski lesson all day, but am pumped to get to work this evening.

I also found a nice enthusiastic Japanese dude from Roland (I think) doing tutorial vids on youtube. I'm sure you've all seen it but just in case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4JfEtZuFpU

He talks about using an initial program but never says how to get to it!
analogharmony

Post by analogharmony »

Ok, for anyone needing a FULL basic tutorial on how to shape sounds on the JDXA this guy's video is excellent! You'll need to turn on English subtitles, but he obviously knows his way around synths and specifically the JDXA here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4JfEtZuFpU
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Congratulations, you own the Tardis.

If you register your XA with Roland, they will send you a free matt overlay. Just email Roland Support.p

My very basic advice is 'experiment, experiment, experiment' if it sounds good to you......it sounds good.

The XA will deliver. Keep experimenting and enjoy.