Mod Wheel (Wheel 2) does not zero out for digital parts

Forum for the JD-XA.
Kal-El

Mod Wheel (Wheel 2) does not zero out for digital parts

Post by Kal-El »

Hello, I'm a long time reader, first time poster. I've enjoyed the Roland keyboards I've owned and used (VR-09, Fantom G8, JD-XA) over the course of 4-5 years due to user-friendly interfaces, at least in the ways that I've used them. The JD-XA has definitely been a challenge to that experience, but it has been a good one and I'm a more knowledgeable programmer and sound designer for it!

At any rate, I've recently noticed, because I don't often use Wheel 2 much, that it won't turn vibrato completely back to zero - there's just a little bit of waver still in the pitch. I have to nudge the pitch stick up a little and back to zero it out. This only happens on the digital parts, the analog parts respond appropriately. Anyone else had this issue?

Thank you.
zombietactics

Re: Mod Wheel (Wheel 2) does not zero out for digital parts

Post by zombietactics »

Cannot confirm your results.
Kal-El

Post by Kal-El »

@zombietactics, thank you for checking. :)

If anyone else has encountered this, I would still like to know. It's so faint that it almost sounds like oscillator drift but is definitely not the "vintage" drift setting that the supernatural synth system offers.
Kal-El

Post by Kal-El »

In case anyone else comes across this, performing a firmware reset fixed the issue.
jteir

Post by jteir »

Thank you for the hint!

I had the same problem with two JD-XA:s. One of them sent a MIDI value of 7-8 when Wheel2 was turned to zero and the other sent a MIDI value of 12-13. Performing a factory reset fixed the problem - now zero is zero. :)
rmachin

Post by rmachin »

Hmmm -- a reset does it, and a turn off/on does it for me -- but then the non-zero thing returns at spome point. Here's my experience, but cant seem to stop it randomly happening:

Symptom: use wheel 2 to add vibrato via MOD LFO to a digital part and when you return it to 0 a small amount of vibrato persists.

(Same thing happens when wheel 2 mods the filter -- try rounder bass (bank 4 P 1) and the filter remains open slightly when you return wheel 2 to 0.)

So it seems wheel 2 doesn't always send 0 when it's returned to its starting position.

Troubleshooted it as follows: Wheel 2 dsoes not return the MOD LFO to 0 -- I have to either blip the stick forward and that resets it, or I can go into the tone settings and change wheel 2 from CC1 to CC2 and back again -- that also seems to reset it.