CV / Gate outputs and non-standard tuning scales

Forum for the JD-XA.
ndaustin

CV / Gate outputs and non-standard tuning scales

Post by ndaustin »

Does anyone know if it's possible to reconfigure the CV / Gate outputs on the JD-XA to be inputs instead? I wish to control the CV from an external source so that I can use non-standard tuning scales. An alternative would be to have micro-tonal programability from within the JD-XA, though I haven't discovered anything in the programing that allows that.
Myrk-

Re: CV / Gate outputs and non-standard tuning scales

Post by Myrk- »

Always read the manuals before posting. Your query is in the main manual that comes with the XA, the one thats like only 18 pages long... When it comes to core features it's not as if us forum users have some secret extra knowledge not included in any of the manuals :P /me rolls eyes

Page 11:
It's an output, not an input.

Page 13:
Fine tune and scale are your only options.
ndaustin

Re: CV / Gate outputs and non-standard tuning scales

Post by ndaustin »

One lives in hope that Roland read these posts and facilitate a software update to enable the outputs to be reconfigured as inputs.
As for the manual... I happen to be one of the older guys who needs to wear reading glasses. The print in the manual is too small to read under normal lighting conditions... Yes I know there's a manual online, but perhaps if Roland read this post they may choose to provide legible manuals in the future.
Synthesizers should be user friendly and intuitive. As good as the synth engine is in this instrument, it is not exactly intuitive especially when one has to wade through different menus with only button pushes to scroll between the different functions, plus there is no computer editor available. Poor show for a professional instrument.
Asking about these matters on a forum is not an unreasonable request... Often synths have hidden function that are not written up in the manuals.
This isn't exactly an old instrument so I hope Roland would still offer improvements and firmware updates like other synth manufacturers do.