Very low output volume

Forum for the JD-XA.
Manic

Very low output volume

Post by Manic »

My new JDXA has a very low output volume. I can increase it by increasing the master eq input gain, but is this normal?
glynbo

Re: Very low output volume

Post by glynbo »

Hi mate, I am not at my JD but I think there is a volume boost in the menu master section, might be wrong though.
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Setting the volume levels can be quite difficult. When layering it takes time. Sometimes, with certain patches, it does sound lower than it should, especially through head phones. Putting it through the MX1 boosts everything but thats another £400 gone, although I would recommend it.

So, I agree, it can sound too low sometimes. Most synths I use can make your ears bleed at max output.
OneOfManyPauls

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

It's particularly quiet via usb audio. I always go to system > sound > output gain and bump it up. Sometimes I'll throw a compressor FX into the mix to get it sounding something like.

Not an issue if I'm using it via audio interface as I can just set the gain on the input.
analogharmony

Post by analogharmony »

runningman67 wrote:Setting the volume levels can be quite difficult. When layering it takes time. Sometimes, with certain patches, it does sound lower than it should, especially through head phones. Putting it through the MX1 boosts everything but thats another £400 gone, although I would recommend it.

So, I agree, it can sound too low sometimes. Most synths I use can make your ears bleed at max output.
How do you prefer to set volume levels with digital and analog parts on the same patch? I've been using the amp volume, but think there may be other/better methods?
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

analogharmony wrote:
runningman67 wrote:Setting the volume levels can be quite difficult. When layering it takes time. Sometimes, with certain patches, it does sound lower than it should, especially through head phones. Putting it through the MX1 boosts everything but thats another £400 gone, although I would recommend it.

How do you prefer to set volume levels with digital and analog parts on the same patch? I've been using the amp volume, but think there may be other/better methods?
Amp vol level. It's hard. Balancing so many sounds is difficult. The pan and detune and cut off, filter types are so varied.
You have to trust your ears and do what works for you.
This is the beauty and beast of the XA. Taming it is part of the ride.
o.durmusoglu

Post by o.durmusoglu »

I also need advice.

When i started to play with knobs, volume goes down in my almost each touch then no sound at all.

Sound degrades and disappears.

What is the reason?

Any advice is welcome.
OneOfManyPauls

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

There are a bunch of places to control jd-xa volume:

Global:
front panel master volume
menu > system > SOUND: Output Gain
menu > program > level
TFX1/2 compressors etc

Individual parts - these are particularly useful if trying to use LPF3 without the resonance going weird:
Mixer section knobs
Amp knob
menu > part > level
MFX - compressors etc
menu > effects > Part EQ
horisonten

Post by horisonten »

Are you using balanced cables? If you are using unbalanced ones you'll loose some dBs.
HenrikErlandsson

Post by HenrikErlandsson »

Menu / Output Gain is the correct answer, it was my first adjustment.

And also remember you are setting the amp levels with the knobs, and that Drive is not the same as amp level.