System 8 in your JD-XA?

Forum for the JD-XA.
Jdoo

Re: System 8 in your JD-XA?

Post by Jdoo »

I downloaded and converted the Integra TB303 patches. I created a USB with banks of these sounds.. and it is attached below. I put it in the same folder structure that Roland uses... so if you drop this into a JD-XA formated USB.. it should be readable.
Contents -
ROLAND
JD-XA
PROGRAM
A - Jupiter 8 1-16
B - Jupiter 8 1-14
C - Jupiter 6 1-16
D - Juno-60 1-16
E - Juno-60 1-16
F - D-50 1-11
G - Juno 106 1-16
H - Juno 106 1-2
I SH101 1-16
J SH-101 1-2
K SuperSaw 1-16
L SuperSaw 1-16
M SuperSaw 1-8
N TB303 1-16
O TB303 1-9
Thanks the nice words... and enjoy - BTW -- there are a more banks on the Axial Integra site, but they look like they are composites of these ones (so the patches are already in among these 190 or so Programs). There may be other stuff out there though...

Joe

File:
INTEGRA.zip
(352.3 KiB) Downloaded 556 times
Readme:
readme.rtf
(903 Bytes) Downloaded 474 times
HaveIt

Post by HaveIt »

Great to have them all in one! Fanntatic thanks.
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Do I need a System 8 now? Darn it.
I wanted an excuse to buy more stuff :I

;)
OneOfManyPauls

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

Thanks Joe - that's a really handy format for these. You've made the integra 7 patches as simple as possible for jd-xa owners to use.
runningman67 wrote:Do I need a System 8 now? Darn it.
;)
Supernatural best-effort patches are a far cry from a circuit level synth emulation like the plug-outs are.

Nice as these integra 7 patches are to have for free, I find most of the presets to be pretty weak (especially the sh-101/tb-303).

Given we have "real analog"+"digital>analog filter" in the jd-xa, we have more scope to get really tasty classic sounds out of the jd-xa.
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

OneOfManyPauls wrote:Thanks Joe - that's a really handy format for these. You've made the integra 7 patches as simple as possible for jd-xa owners to use.
;)
Supernatural best-effort patches are a far cry from a circuit level synth emulation like the plug-outs are.

Nice as these integra 7 patches are to have for free, I find most of the presets to be pretty weak (especially the sh-101/tb-303).

Given we have "real analog"+"digital>analog filter" in the jd-xa, we have more scope to get really tasty classic sounds out of the jd-xa.
So I still have an excuse to get a System 8.
Game on!! Cheers Paul.
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

OneOfManyPauls wrote:Thanks Joe - that's a really handy format for these. You've made the integra 7 patches as simple as possible for jd-xa owners to use.
;)

Agree with you Paul. Some of the Integra stuff can sound weak. OTOH, you bring up good points about being able to drive these them through the JD-XA's filters (either the plethora of digital filters.. some which are pretty great), or through the JD-XA's Analog swimlane. I don't know any detail other than the marketing lines that Roland has put out about Analog Circuit Behaviour (ACB for the Roland AIRA line), and havent actually heard one of the boutique's in person, nor the System 8 -- so I haven't personally experienced how wonderful that all sounds. :)

edit: Just mho - but the TB303 and SH-101 seem pretty close to the sound (imo) of the originals. :D If you want to liven them up, make the patches something they never were. I.E. Make them part of a multi-timbral patch. Make em polyphonic. The bits can easily be re-purposed. I spent a few minutes with just a few of the TB-302 and SH-101 patches, only adjusting the filters, and envelopes... and very quickly, got some great sounds.
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

Here’s a quick split to create with the JUNO-60 bits. Yes … you can load up the “Jupiter-8/Juno-60 Crossover Impressions for the JD-XA” Axial bank.. and get a boat load of JUNO-60 parts, but for purposes of this quick demo… Going to do a JUNO-60 layered patch… mostly because it’s easy to do - and, these are sounds I like. Also - wanted to show how easy it is to create a composite Program with the JD-XA.

Creating a Layered Juno-60 Pad/String (Jn60 1) below a split-layered JUNO-60 PolySynth patch (Jn60Syn4). I am putting the Jn60Syn4 patch on just the top portion of the keyboard. The Jn60 1 will go across the whole range. Something else cool about most all of these Integra patches, and this applies to any
you bring over to the JD-XA. They support aftertouch. (something not available on the System 8).

This quick tutorial.. assumes you have loaded the Integra zip I posted, onto a USB drive.. I will be referring to the programs in certain locations, so it’s easier to follow - but if you have at least installed the JUNO-60 portion of the patches… this will work.

1. Find the SLO-Jn60Syn4 patch. If you installed the programs from the copy I provided… it will be in USB:E10 The important thing, is to note which patch # this is. In my case.. it is E10
2. Find the SLO-Jn60 1 patch. Again - if you installed the programs from the copy I provided… this one will be in D02. This is where you will be working from…. no need to write anything down… Select this patch as the next steps assume you are on SLO-Jn60 1.
3. Copy the SLO-Jn60Syn4 Digital Part 1 to the Digital Part 2 of the Program you are on ( SLO-Jn60 1).
a. Hold SHIFT press Bank/Copy
The LCD will be blinking “<COPY> PROGRAM ( or whatever the last copy you used)
You need to change PROGRAM to PART. Press the > arrow key until it reads PART
Press the ENTER
b. The LCD should be prompting for the Src (source)...
Press USB (If the SLO-Jn60Syn4 program (from step 1) is on your USB drive. I pressed USB
Press Bank, then E (or whatever the bank you wrote down in step 1 was - I pressed E
Press the Program Number (1-16) for the SLO-Jn60Syn4 program (from step 1) I pressed 10
Press ENTER
c. The LCD should be asking for the Source Part Number. Use the < > keys to select the part (Probably Digital Part1)
Press ENTER
d. The LCD should be asking for the Dest Part Number. This is the destination for the copy..
Use - + keys to change this to D-PART 2 (or an other part that is unused in your program)
Press ENTER
d. The LCD should be prompting :Part Copy? [Exit]:N [Ent]: Y
Press ENTER
Press the Exit key, to fully get out of the Copy function
4. You should have a fully layered 2 part patch now…. The parts are velocity sensitive… and aftertouch is enabled… cool
5. I didn’t want the polySyn patch on the lower octaves… so i set the range.
Press and hold the red (on) button for Digital Part 2 (or whatever part number it was, that you copied the polySyn to in step 3d.
It is probably saying C-1 - G9
While holding the button down.. press the D4 key on your keyboard…. or whatever note you want the low end of the split to be…
The LCD will blink with — asking for the high note… press the top key on your keyboard (C6)
— split is set
— patch is done
6. Add more bits… throw an analog part in… diddle with the effects of these digital parts… they are all set in the JD-XA menus..
Don’t like the split… repeat Step 5… There is a lot of little bits to doc… but setting layers and splits once you learn the shortcut
is easy…
7. If you like what you created… you need to write it. If you move off this program before saving, it is lost. In fact, at any step along the way... if you get lost, or things are whack... move off the patch... press another patch number, then go back to where you started. Until you save the Program, you're safe. :)

This looks like a crapload of work.. In reality, it took about 2 minutes. Seriously quick and easy to copy parts and tones around, once you have done it a couple of times. Key things… Always start on the program you will be copying TO… and… hit the Write button often… or you may move off of your work, and lose the edits…

Cheers -

Joe
Program: Jn60-1+Syn4 :
jn6014.zip
(1.25 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
OneOfManyPauls

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

runningman67 wrote:So I still have an excuse to get a System 8.
Game on!! Cheers Paul.
If you want to get a feel for the sound, roland have just launched DAW plugin versions of the System 8 / Jupiter 8 and Juno 106 plugouts.

They're only currently via the Roland Cloud though, which is $19.95 per month for the early access beta, but you can get a months free trial to that:

https://www.rolandcloud.com/4-0-release
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Thanks for that.
I've played it a couple of times in the shop and I'm sold.
I can sync it with MX 1 with XA and Xi.
Got to wait until April but its a dream set up for me.
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

Changed the one patch I posted earlier (Africa) slightly.. to the P5 brass for "Drive" by the Cars. It's working up Programs like this, that are making me second guess pulling the trigger on a P-6 or the OB-6. Not that I am getting this spot-on for them, but certainly close enough for my needs.

Anyway - unzip, drop into a JD-XA formatted drive in the right spot... and Drive on.

Joe

Cars "Drive" -
JDDRIVE.zip
(39.82 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
Oh crap.... this had a (rather hastily put together, bad) sequence in it. Please ignore that! Too much trouble to clean and repost. - the rest is ok. j
skinmechanic

Post by skinmechanic »

I keep coming back to the JDXA i had the choice of this or the system 8 i bought the system 8 at the time the juno 106 plug out wasn't available. I also have the Integra 7 when i was going the jupiter 8 sounds i recognised some of these from the Integra. I did a few A/B tests of the jupiter 8 plug out and i managed to recreate a few of the patches without effects they were identical the effects on them made the difference between the both. I certainly think the waveforms of the SNA and the plugout are the same the jupiter 8 filter on the Integra 7 apart from some minor stepping when going through the filter resonance sounded identical to the plugout. Does the JDXA have all the filter types that is on the Integra 7? in the digital section? if so then i can understand having these sounds from axial to be good on the JDXA what might be good for owners is to create one voice of analogue to go with them to create the warmth and bottom end for certain sounds.

I still like the JDXA and the crossover sounds are excellent i might get one still.
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

skinmechanic wrote:... Does the JDXA have all the filter types that is on the Integra 7? in the digital section? if so then i can understand having these sounds from axial to be good on the JDXA what might be good for owners is to create one voice of analogue to go with them to create the warmth and bottom end for certain sounds...
I am not sure. There is probably a documented list of the digital filter types in the doc somewhere. There are a bazzillion of them, though. Most folks seem to be going the other direction though. That is - routing the digital path through the analog filters. There's a lot of goodness in the digital filters too, though. (maybe not for purists) :)

This weekend I added a DSI OB-6 module to my setup. It compliments the JD-XA wildly. For the types of polysynth timbres I tend to use -- the JD-XA holds it own, though. That is - there is quite a bit that the OB-6 brings to the table that I can get 'close' with, through the JD-XA. They sound amazing together though. The OB-6 filters do have a certain growl, that is unmistakable.. and features like chord memory, and those filters ( 12dB/oct state-variable ) are not just market-speak. Anyway - a slight diversion from the "System 8 in your JD-XA" thread title... but there is an OB-6 in your JD-XA too. :D
zombietactics

Post by zombietactics »

Jdoo wrote:... Programs like this, that are making me second guess pulling the trigger on a P-6 or the OB-6. Not that I am getting this spot-on for them, but certainly close enough for my needs. ...
Great observation. I had a friend's OB6 in my studio for several weeks. Almost anything you want out of the OB6 can be accomplished with great accuracy on the JD-XA. Honestly, a lot of Oberheim-type sounds can be made with the DSI Prophet 08 (which I have) using the 2-pole mode for the filter.

There are some niches which can't be done well without a true Oberheim multi-mode filter. Those are amazing, special sounds, but the JD-XA gets really, really close. You have to ask yourself if it's worth $2800 to achieve that extra nth-degree of perfection, or if you can "settle" for something close .... which sounds just awesome in its own special way.

The same observations go for Prophet sounds. I am something of a Prophet purist, so in that case ... yes, it was worth spending $1350 for a Prophet 08 desktop to get THAT sound, when I can honestly get really close with a JD-XA, Behringer DM12 or even a Novation Ultranova.
OneOfManyPauls

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

zombietactics wrote:Great observation. I had a friend's OB6 in my studio for several weeks. Almost anything you want out of the OB6 can be accomplished with great accuracy on the JD-XA.
Looking at the OB-6 modulation routing spec, I'm surprised to hear that given how relatively basic the jd-xa is in that regard.
X-MOD
Sources: filter envelope (bi-polar) and oscillator 2 (bi-polar)
Destinations: oscillator 1 frequency, oscillator 1 shape, oscillator 1 pulse width, filter cutoff, filter mode, normal to bandpass filter
I really wish we had more options with the jd-xa mod routings - especially staples like using the filter envelope as a source for example.
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

OneOfManyPauls wrote:
zombietactics wrote:Great observation. I had a friend's OB6 in my studio for several weeks. Almost anything you want out of the OB6 can be accomplished with great accuracy on the JD-XA.
Looking at the OB-6 modulation routing spec, I'm surprised to hear that given how relatively basic the jd-xa is in that regard.
X-MOD
Sources: filter envelope (bi-polar) and oscillator 2 (bi-polar)
Destinations: oscillator 1 frequency, oscillator 1 shape, oscillator 1 pulse width, filter cutoff, filter mode, normal to bandpass filter
I really wish we had more options with the jd-xa mod routings - especially staples like using the filter envelope as a source for example.
Great points. I should round off my comments. If someone is looking to add a handful of OB-like timbres / cover sounds... the 'XA may be able to get close enough imo. I'll stand by that statement :)

However - as a synth.. and 'addition' to the 'XA, the OB brings a crapload to the table.
The OB ‘fizz’ is unique, and unobtainable in most patches on the JD-XA. Short bursts (adding decayed noise to brass patches for example) maybe. But there is a plethora of timbres that are not touchable with the ‘XA. Not just classic 80s tones, but pulling that fizz into other non-classic timbres - is too cool. On top of the filter, there is a distortion effect, that can really round off tones in a special way. More fizz. :)

Continuously variable filter. The OB-6 You don’t switch from LP to Notch, to HP, but have a gradient of morphing that happens between the filter types. The same type morphing is in the oscillator wave types, as you don’t just select a wave type, but have morphing between them. You can modulate the frequencies across these hybrid filter settings or even modulate the filter mode (type). I mentioned getting ‘close enough’ for certain cover timbres earlier . Yes - you can probably dial in certain classic OB timbres on the 'XA. But there is a lot more to the oscillator-filter combinations of the OB (including modulating wave/filter types) an excellent addition.. but not replacement for, the ‘XA.