OS 1.6 update requests

Forum for the JD-XA.
zombietactics

Re: OS 1.6 update requests

Post by zombietactics »

glynbo wrote:Digital part waveshape a destination for modulation, also why have such a usefull sound function hidden away! Makes no sense Roland.
Ditto.
Duplobaustein

Post by Duplobaustein »

zombietactics wrote:It's really a shame that SuperNatural patches cannot have LFO Pitch Modulation controlled via aftertouch. This would be top of my list, as well as an overall expansion of modulation source/amount/destination routings like the Prophet8 or DeepMind12 have.
That's a real shame! I use that A LOT on other synths...
OneOfManyPauls wrote:I'd also like to see increased sources and destinations for the analog mod matrix - especially filter envelope as a source, and things like filter resonance and envelope stages as destinations.

Ditto the LFO on destinations.

Something that would seem to help a lot of new users, would be if there was an easy way to "OMNI" the jd-xa for input and output on one midi channel via both USB and DIN. I know we can do Remote Kbd for the input side, but that's DIN only at present.
+1000
sbardy

Post by sbardy »

Please fix arpeggiator bug viewtopic.php?f=57&t=50875&hilit=arpeggiator, the problem persist also in Roland JD-XI
horisonten

Post by horisonten »

horisonten wrote:Tempo knob = Half, true and double tempo when slaved
Since the 8 bar sequencer won't become reality due to hardware limitations, I wish for the tempo knob to work like on the Minibrute when slaved to a midi clock. All the way counter clockwise half tempo, in the middle true tempo, all the way clockwise double tempo. This way there would be a little bit more room for creativeness on the sequencer side of things.
Today I am a very stupid but happy JD-XA owner. I'm the only one to blame here. But while reading the manual a little bit closer a revelation came to me. When setting Sync Mode to REMOTE I can finally make the sequencer 8 bars long! Praise the universe! The JD-XA will now respond to start commands from an external sequencer, but still use it's internal BPM! At last I can make my 8 bar chord progressions come true, but still slave the JD-XA to my Octatrack.
horisonten

Post by horisonten »

horisonten wrote:Today I am a very stupid but happy JD-XA owner. I'm the only one to blame here. But while reading the manual a little bit closer a revelation came to me. When setting Sync Mode to REMOTE I can finally make the sequencer 8 bars long! Praise the universe! The JD-XA will now respond to start commands from an external sequencer, but still use it's internal BPM! At last I can make my 8 bar chord progressions come true, but still slave the JD-XA to my Octatrack.
Update: The Remote option seems to work relatively well until i reach tempos below 60 bpm... I can still tap a tempo below 60, but the drifting is out of this world, which is very unfortunate. So I need to make my songs above 120 bpm in order to do this 8 bar trick... That sucks big time since basically half of my songs are below... So I rejoiced a little bit to early.
GilgaFrank

Post by GilgaFrank »

One for anyone using the CV and gate outs to link to a modular - the option to use CV2 as a modulation CV and gate2 as a clock would be wonderful. As it is, I've got to go via MIDI clock to use the JD-XA as a Eurorack controller.
OneOfManyPauls

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

A few thing I'd like to add:

Adjustable curves for the envelope segments (log/exponential).

LFO one shot and analog envelope looping modes.

All the knobs/sliders/buttons to send midi out when changed.
Duplobaustein

Post by Duplobaustein »

OneOfManyPauls wrote:A few thing I'd like to add:

Adjustable curves for the envelope segments (log/exponential).

LFO one shot and analog envelope looping modes.

All the knobs/sliders/buttons to send midi out when changed.
Yes and Yes! Curved envelopes would expand the sonic capabilities a lot. One shot LFOs would be handy to overcome the lacking curved envs.

I'd like to see a mod matrix on the SNS as on the analog part.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

I think you may find that the JD-XA experiment has been dropped like a stone! There will be no significant updates as Roland's energy and resources are focused on churning out new products unfortunately. This is certainly apparent due to their "announcement" schedule.

Such a shame because a little more time spent putting a few bits right on the OS would of made this great synth so much better.
saturn

Post by saturn »

yes i think the same way. really disappointing from roland. again.
i realy like the jdxa but it feels like they stopped half way through.

for me it's a sign of weakness, fear and confusion. roland is kind of lost. because they cornered themselfes with the stupid claim "designing / redefining the future". the consequence, like Ikutaro Kakehashi claimed, never to release an analog synth again. because it's old tech and not the future. on the other hand roland introduced the acb concept with the crippled down boutique versions of their legacy synths. ok now the future is to emulate the past? and they did the awkward jdxa which is at least a step in the right direction if they would have done it right.

they just realized too late that analog isn't dead yet. but roland already lost the analog market to innovative companies with designs we (the ones who grew up with roland classics) actually want to see. roland should know by now, that it's only because of this legacy products (with one or two exceptions) why nerds like me still love the roland brand despite all the letdowns like the blasphemic jupiter80.

with the loss of Ikutaro Kakehashi roland has to find a new way now. maybe they start to do what we actually like and more importantly: do it right, don't stop half way through and stay behind your products roland!!!

stop of redefining the future of an alternate universe. leave the futurism to someone like kurzweil.

let's see what synths are coming at 20th june. i'm curious...
synthguy99

Post by synthguy99 »

Some of you are beginning to sound as bad as the people at Gearslutz. ;P

I think too many people here are thinking of your musical instruments like video games, which when they become stale you can apply mods to them to jazz them up. I know that some features like the sequencer could have been made better, and an update would fix some of that. But after two years, I'm betting those features really aren't that big a deal if you haven't bought a sequencer based instrument which does what you want. And if you just bought one, you've had two years to consider what very little action on the update front means. I'm also betting that some of you haven't asked those who are using the sequencer in quite powerful ways how they did what they did. I'm astonished at what some of these people like Gattobus are doing with their JD-XAs.

I'd like better effects, particularly reverb. But so-so verb is quite common on synths. The really good effects come on keyboards made by two companies, Kurzweil and Yamaha. I can complain, or I can understand the situation.

This is a very powerful synthesizer, so unique that nothing compares to it. If you want to throw yours on ebay, fine and dandy, but good luck replacing it with something that does as much, and sounds so good doing it. I'm still lusting after this beastie because there really isn't anything like it on the market, and may not be for years. So consider this, and maybe doing some music with yours. ;)
GilgaFrank

Post by GilgaFrank »

Noise level as a modulation destination.

If there's any synth designers reading this, just make everything a modulation destination. Because whatever parameter you put on a synth, someone somewhere will want to modulate it.
Duplobaustein

Post by Duplobaustein »

synthguy99 wrote:Some of you are beginning to sound as bad as the people at Gearslutz. ;P

I think too many people here are thinking of your musical instruments like video games, which when they become stale you can apply mods to them to jazz them up. I know that some features like the sequencer could have been made better, and an update would fix some of that. But after two years, I'm betting those features really aren't that big a deal if you haven't bought a sequencer based instrument which does what you want. And if you just bought one, you've had two years to consider what very little action on the update front means. I'm also betting that some of you haven't asked those who are using the sequencer in quite powerful ways how they did what they did. I'm astonished at what some of these people like Gattobus are doing with their JD-XAs.

I'd like better effects, particularly reverb. But so-so verb is quite common on synths. The really good effects come on keyboards made by two companies, Kurzweil and Yamaha. I can complain, or I can understand the situation.

This is a very powerful synthesizer, so unique that nothing compares to it. If you want to throw yours on ebay, fine and dandy, but good luck replacing it with something that does as much, and sounds so good doing it. I'm still lusting after this beastie because there really isn't anything like it on the market, and may not be for years. So consider this, and maybe doing some music with yours. ;)
It's not as it is uncommon, that synths get jazzed up, as you say. The Kurzweil PC3 as well as the Forte got massively upgraded with tons of user requests being heard. The Forte developed from a 4 part stage piano to a 16 part workstation (minus the seq). Access upgraded the Virus massively with new filter models and FX. Novation upgrades their gear regularly. And even Roland themselves upgraded the FA right now with nice additional features.
GilgaFrank

Post by GilgaFrank »

synthguy99 wrote:I think too many people here are thinking of your musical instruments like video games, which when they become stale you can apply mods to them to jazz them up.
Got to agree with this point of view. Different instruments have different strengths and weaknesses and no instrument is ever going to be everything to everyone. And as an older product, the JD-XA is pretty much past the end of its development lifecycle now so there's zero incentive for Roland to offer any new updates. Just got to find ways to make it work and play to its strengths.
OneOfManyPauls

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

This is a firmware-updatable product - so it seems entirely reasonable for people to post the things they'd like to see updated via a firmware update. As far as I'm aware, Roland have not made any reference to the jd-xa being end-of-line.

Whether we'll actually get another firmware update is another matter entirely though - but maybe the comments will feed into future products.

If you don't like reading people's wish lists - then, urm, don't read them: it's not like the thread topic isn't clear on the content you can expect in it.