USB AUDIO

Forum for the JD-XA.
jacen100

USB AUDIO

Post by jacen100 »

Hi everyone

im new mac and logic im running all the latest versions on osx and logic and have MX1 as my interface i can run my JDXA TB3 and TR8 all no problem through the MX1 usb it all works ok,

what i would like to know is how to try my JDXA as usb audio and unhook it from the MX1 i have connected it straight to the mac and have all the proper drivers installed , i can setup an instrument in logix and see that the JDXA is there so i select it and choose channel one i can see notes being input but no sound.

the manual sheds no light on this subject at all, pretty pathetic

THX ALLOT J
Jdoo

Re: USB AUDIO

Post by Jdoo »

Couple of things... Check in the System Menu. Sound: Local Switch On . I am not at my workstation, but that was one setting that I had to flip, to get Logic Pro to play nice. The other is also in the System menu - MIDI settings.. for Remote Kbd. I had to switch this OFF or ON (sorry again -- not at my workstation to verify) .. but would lose polyphony, if it was set wrong (Logic was getting double the MIDI keys.. cutting polyphony in half).

Anyway - those are the two settings I would look to . . . for Logic Pro / JD-XA harmony...

Joe
jacen100

Post by jacen100 »

Hi JDoo thx for the reply buddy

i managed to get it all setup im now using my UAD Apollo quad as my main interface and setup the JDXA and the TR8 as aggregate devices in the chain, i can goto logic and get the jdxa up on an external instrument and running ok with automation the lot working,

what i would like to know is how does this beast hook up in the daw and work, will it hook up and sequence,
can i use it multitimbral channel 1/2/3 and so on, for some reason i cant seem to get that to work channel 1/2/3 all seem to make the synth react when i lay out 3 instances of the JDXA External instrument and set part and midi channel to match

when i bring up list editor and look the channels are all over the place notes on different channels and so on, im beginning to think this isent going to link up with the DAW the way i would like it to be like with most multitimbral synths

i had the FA06 before the JDXA and it did perfectly what i wanted in the daw when it comes to sequencing all through USB
regards j
OneOfManyPauls

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

Ignoring the DAW, here's how the jd-xa works - so it's just a matter of figuring out your DAW setup to do it:

By default, each of the JD-XAs parts receive on a different midi channel (channel number matches part number: 1-8).

In poly-stack, you can send up to 4 notes to the midi channel of the selected "master" analog part to play that polyphonically.

You can send poly to the digital part channels as you see fit, and it will just use up that section's pool of 64 voices.

The jd-xa keyboard transmits midi notes on the midi channel of each part that is switched ON using the part on/off switches.

You can change the midi channel for any part by selecting it, then changing it via MENU > PART > PART MIDI > Ch

To stop a part responding to midi received on its channel, you need to press SHIFT+part on/off to mute it.

- - -

You can also set it to to treat an external keyboard (or DAW) **connected via DIN not USB** to act in the same way as the jd-xa's own keyboard (ie a note press will send to all parts that are set to ON using the part on/off buttons):

MENU > SYSTEM > MIDI > REMOTE Kbd=on

- - -

My DAW of choice is Live, and that's simple to set up for using the jd-xa as a multi-timbral sound source.

I did briefly have a bash using Logic with the jd-xa. One thing in my notes is this, which might be useful:

file > project settings > recording - auto demix by channel if multitrack recording