JD-XA vs Integra 7 / Jupiter 80

Forum for the JD-XA.
orcoaffamato

JD-XA vs Integra 7 / Jupiter 80

Post by orcoaffamato »

Hello, it's some time that I'm thinking to buy the JD-XA, but I'm still undecided 'cause I saw that Integra 7 has more then 1000 Supernatural synth tones + other PCM synth tones too. The JD-XA instead has "only" 450 DCO Waveforms.
To complicate things further there's also the Jupiter 80 that has a more then 1000 Supernatural synth tones too.

I'd like to know what's the difference between them. Are the JD-XA' sounds something new or are they the same sounds that I can find in the Integra 7 / Jupiter 80?
WhatThe

Re: JD-XA vs Integra 7 / Jupiter 80

Post by WhatThe »

XA all the way! So many program and sound possibilities. Still getting my head around it tbh but this synth is a monster.
The analogue side alone is just awesome, then add the digital for pure sonic beauty.
bigmuz7

Post by bigmuz7 »

Its not a simple number crunching exercise about numbers of waveforms ... its about what you can do with them that is the issue. You have all these layering abilities, and on top of that , the analogue side which allows some quite unique structures to your sounds, then there's the ability to manipulate envelopes etc in real time as you play, and.... on top of that you have the (albeit) basic sequencing and arpeggiator functions..

I have both the JDXA and the i7 .. both are excellent bits of gear .. but occupy two different spaces in my sound scape for music production (although I dont use them professionally) but I can tell you one thing, despite 6000 or so patches in the i7 .. I havent heard many, that sound like anything like the sounds Ive got out of my JDXA .. especially when you start tweaking the controls !!
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

You can really make an XA your own bespoke sound machine. It's not about the integral patches, they are just a template for you to develop as you wish. Quite unique and very rewarding and never boring.
saturn

Post by saturn »

if you don't need realistic acoustic sounds and drums i'd definitely go with the jdxa.
i have lots of synths but i haven't had as much fun programming new sounds in a long time.
knobacon

Post by knobacon »

I'm planning on getting an Integra 7 as well and was wondering sort of the same things. What I want/need is the S.N. acoustic sounds to replace/update a Triton Le. I already have enough synths, Sub37, Model D (original) OB-6 Module, JD-XI, MS-2000, Triton Le. So the S.N. synth stuff isn't a priority.

So my question is what to get if I want the most acoustic super natural stuff. This is probably between the Integra 7 and the Jupiter 80. Do they both have the same editing facilities when it comes to the S.N. sounds? Did they make a module version of the Jupiter 80? Does the Integra editor play nice under Windows 7?

Thanks for any info.
saturn

Post by saturn »

knobacon wrote:I'm planning on getting an Integra 7 as well and was wondering sort of the same things. What I want/need is the S.N. acoustic sounds to replace/update a Triton Le. I already have enough synths, Sub37, Model D (original) OB-6 Module, JD-XI, MS-2000, Triton Le. So the S.N. synth stuff isn't a priority.

So my question is what to get if I want the most acoustic super natural stuff. This is probably between the Integra 7 and the Jupiter 80. Do they both have the same editing facilities when it comes to the S.N. sounds? Did they make a module version of the Jupiter 80? Does the Integra editor play nice under Windows 7?

Thanks for any info.
isn't the integra kind of the rack version of the jupiter80? for me the 80 has just not enough sliders. i would prefer the integra + a nice controller (like jdxa) for that kind of money.
but then again i would rather go for a kronos or a motif.
orcoaffamato

Post by orcoaffamato »

Thank you for all your replies!
I'm not really in need of acoustic sounds 'cause I'm going to buy soon a Roland RD-2000.
Howewer I have another doubt: I recently bought Omnisphere 2, but I hadn't the time yet to start to learn and use it (I'm also waiting for the Roland RD-2000 to arrive, to use it as a master controller), so I'd like to know if it will be redundant to have both Omnisphere 2 and the JD-XA.
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Depends on how deep your pockets are. The XA sounds like a luxury purchase. You already have a lot to play with. The XA is the XA. Quite unique. You can never have too much gear :)
Ultimately, the choice is yours.
OneOfManyPauls

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

orcoaffamato wrote:so I'd like to know if it will be redundant to have both Omnisphere 2 and the JD-XA.
depends on what you want/need.

jd-xa gives you real analog that you can use as 4 independent mono sound sources (each mixing 2 oscillators + noise/corresponding digital part), any combination of layers of those 4 parts using midi channels to group them, or a 4 voice poly stack of a single patch.

Then you get to throw the supernatural synth digital parts through the corresponding analog part's filters and/or cross-modulate the analog part's oscillator 1 with that digital part.

That's just the analog part - you have the 64 voice pool to play with for the 4 polyphonic supernatural synth based digital parts.

The FX are pretty decent too.

Omni 2 didn't blow me away for traditional synthesis. To my ears there was an "omni sound" from elements that are so often leant on to buff up the raw tones (especially unison and certain fx).

Obviously omni 2 has a much wider scope than the jd-xa with the sample mangling side, but if you're after front and center "real" synth tones, the jd-xa stands apart imo.
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Or, get a System 8 and Integra 7.

All those sounds plus vintage wonderfulness.
OneOfManyPauls

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

Obviously that'd bump the cost well past the jd-xa - and you're still not getting real analog.

If it's studio based usage, the jd-xa could be supplemented with the latest breed of ultra high quality VA plugins like the legend, repro-1 and softube modular.
orcoaffamato

Post by orcoaffamato »

I'm not interested in the System 8.

The only analog synth that I have at the moment is the KORG Monologue, I bought it just to toy with it, but it has personality: it's a real keeper (though I would have preferred a desktop module).

I don't do gigs so I'd use the JD-XA only at home.
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

You have a lot to look forward to. Whatever you choose.

I can't speak for the Omnisphere personally but my friend sends me songs he has made with it and they are amazing.

The JD XA is a complex synth but brilliant. Being honest, I play it less and less now I have the System 8. I use the JD Xi for drums, so my next purchase will probably be the Integra 7 for the Orchestral and acoustic sounds.

You have the Monologue, Omnisphere and a RD 2000 on the way. That's pretty awesome my friend.

You may have seen this but the RD 2000 sounds lovely. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz6_lElCfrM
johnstimley

Post by johnstimley »

The JD-XA and Omnisphere 2 are different beasts but compliment one another. Whilst O2 has amazing depths, I find the interface hard work compared to the knobs and sliders of the JD. So tend to use the O2 sounds off the shelf, but they are pretty amazing and there are just so many to choose from.
For orchestral sounds I have strayed to Korg with Kurt Ader's orchestral sounds for Kronos.......simply stunning.