Is my LP3 broken?

Forum for the JD-XA.
WhatThe

Is my LP3 broken?

Post by WhatThe »

Having just acquired a second hand JD-XA I can honestly say I've never had so much fun. Though one thing is troubling me and I'm not sure it's a fault or just my lack of skills.

The LP3 filter is out of control, it's pretty much unusable. It seems to act as if it's cross modulated. I need to bring both oscillators down to around 3 o'clock and very low drive in order to tame it. I watched a sonic labs review where this very issue was mentioned.

Is this how it's supposed to be?
richardbates1

Re: Is my LP3 broken?

Post by richardbates1 »

WhatThe wrote:Having just acquired a second hand JD-XA I can honestly say I've never had so much fun. Though one thing is troubling me and I'm not sure it's a fault or just my lack of skills.

The LP3 filter is out of control, it's pretty much unusable. It seems to act as if it's cross modulated. I need to bring both oscillators down to around 3 o'clock and very low drive in order to tame it. I watched a sonic labs review where this very issue was mentioned.

Is this how it's supposed to be?
I don't think that your LP3 is malfunctioning......the LP3 filter is a very strange and different filter that is hard to tame but you can get really strange sounds with it.
WhatThe

Re: Is my LP3 broken?

Post by WhatThe »

You're certainly right in what you say. LP3 filter definitely takes some work to get it to play nice. Though I can't help but go back to Nick Batts review, where he stated that Roland had admitted a gain staging issue on the LP3. What he demonstrated in his review is exactly how my filter behaves.
It does allow for crazy sounds to be created but there is still that thought in my head.