Mechanical key noise

Forum for the JD-XA.

Mechanical key noise

Postby daza1973 » 19:34, 1 April 2017

I know this might sound daft, but I've had my JD-XA for a few months now and as a rule I use it through my headphones.
Today though I was playing it through my system (without headphones) and I noticed for the first time how much of a mechanical click noise the keys give off when pressed - every key makes the same noise right through the keyboard. Is this just me being OCD or is this the same on all JD-XA's ?
daza1973

Re: Mechanical key noise

Postby Dsx707 » 06:45, 6 April 2017

I just purchased the JDXA and have noticed what might be the same issue.

Does this "click" only occur upon release of the keys? I believe it's the way the keyboard is designed possibly as part of the aftertouch mechanism?

I have not seen anyone post anything about this it's not a huge issue so maybe most are not concerned.

That said it's a known fact that the keybed is admittedly below the standard for such a synth.
Dsx707

Postby runningman67 » 14:39, 9 April 2017

Dsx707 wrote:
That said it's a known fact that the keybed is admittedly below the standard for such a synth.

I like the keybed and have had no problems or mechanical noises. Maybe take it back to the shop and get a replacement.
runningman67

Postby daza1973 » 19:36, 9 April 2017

Dsx707 wrote:I just purchased the JDXA and have noticed what might be the same issue.

Does this "click" only occur upon release of the keys? I believe it's the way the keyboard is designed possibly as part of the aftertouch mechanism?

I have not seen anyone post anything about this it's not a huge issue so maybe most are not concerned.

Yes, a slight click on release of a key is the issue I was referring to, but if it is just a characteristic of the keybed I can live with it.
daza1973

Postby Dsx707 » 19:50, 9 April 2017

runningman67 wrote:
Dsx707 wrote:

I like the keybed and have had no problems or mechanical noises. Maybe take it back to the shop and get a replacement.

So you don't hear an audible click on release of the keys on your JD-XA?
Play it with no sound and listen closely.
You may not have any issues such as this. On mine the upper keys make this sound a little more obviously..

The System 8 has the same keyboard and I noticed this on it too but since I was playing it in a shop it was hard to tell how loud the click sound is.

So you don't hear a click on release at all?
Dsx707

Postby runningman67 » 20:38, 9 April 2017

Non either on my S8 or XA. I think you need to check it out.
runningman67

Postby Dsx707 » 20:47, 9 April 2017

So this would mean it's not a common issue. However me and daza1973 notice it.
Dsx707

Return to JD-XA Keyboard