Mechanical key noise

Forum for the JD-XA.
daza1973

Mechanical key noise

Post by daza1973 »

I know this might sound daft, but I've had my JD-XA for a few months now and as a rule I use it through my headphones.
Today though I was playing it through my system (without headphones) and I noticed for the first time how much of a mechanical click noise the keys give off when pressed - every key makes the same noise right through the keyboard. Is this just me being OCD or is this the same on all JD-XA's ?
Dsx707

Re: Mechanical key noise

Post by Dsx707 »

I just purchased the JDXA and have noticed what might be the same issue.

Does this "click" only occur upon release of the keys? I believe it's the way the keyboard is designed possibly as part of the aftertouch mechanism?

I have not seen anyone post anything about this it's not a huge issue so maybe most are not concerned.

That said it's a known fact that the keybed is admittedly below the standard for such a synth.
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Dsx707 wrote:
That said it's a known fact that the keybed is admittedly below the standard for such a synth.
I like the keybed and have had no problems or mechanical noises. Maybe take it back to the shop and get a replacement.
daza1973

Post by daza1973 »

Dsx707 wrote:I just purchased the JDXA and have noticed what might be the same issue.

Does this "click" only occur upon release of the keys? I believe it's the way the keyboard is designed possibly as part of the aftertouch mechanism?

I have not seen anyone post anything about this it's not a huge issue so maybe most are not concerned.

Yes, a slight click on release of a key is the issue I was referring to, but if it is just a characteristic of the keybed I can live with it.
Dsx707

Post by Dsx707 »

runningman67 wrote:
Dsx707 wrote:
I like the keybed and have had no problems or mechanical noises. Maybe take it back to the shop and get a replacement.
So you don't hear an audible click on release of the keys on your JD-XA?
Play it with no sound and listen closely.
You may not have any issues such as this. On mine the upper keys make this sound a little more obviously..

The System 8 has the same keyboard and I noticed this on it too but since I was playing it in a shop it was hard to tell how loud the click sound is.

So you don't hear a click on release at all?
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Non either on my S8 or XA. I think you need to check it out.
Dsx707

Post by Dsx707 »

So this would mean it's not a common issue. However me and daza1973 notice it.
craigsebree

Post by craigsebree »

Bought my JDXA in august 2017 and I just noticed the mechanical clicking on key release today. More noticable on upper register 24 keys. Don't like it
Duplobaustein

Post by Duplobaustein »

Maybe you could post a video of those noises?
Dsx707

Post by Dsx707 »

craigsebree wrote:Bought my JDXA in august 2017 and I just noticed the mechanical clicking on key release today. More noticable on upper register 24 keys. Don't like it
Thats basically an exact description of the issue with my JD XA apparently it's an issue to some people. I too noticed it on the System 8 also when playing on one in a store. So basically it's the way the cheap key action was designed and not a defect necessarily.
I find that gear these days quite often has these slight design issues I know this as I have and have had lots modern and vintage gear at my disposal.
Rodan

Post by Rodan »

I got my JD-XA about a year ago. It has the slight noise when the key is released for all keys. Interestingly, it gets louder going up the scale. So I typically only notice it in the upper registers. Didn't notice it at all until I moved it up above another keyboard. Now the keys are physically closer to my ear.
Stormchild

Post by Stormchild »

I just bought a System-8 a few weeks ago. Same issue with the keyboard…every key makes a clicking sound when released. Depending on the patch it's not always noticeable, but with something like a soft mallet sound it's really quite annoying. I can hear it even with my usual headphones on (AKG K240 mkII, which is an open ear headphone). If I use my closed ear headphones I can't hear it, but the ones I have aren't comfortable for long term use.

Because I'm not the only one to report it and every key does the same thing, I suspect it's just a poor design and not a defect. Would appreciate input from anyone else with a System-8 or JD-XA (pretty sure they have exactly the same keybed). Try playing some chords while it's powered off. It should be very obvious.

If there are some units that don't have this issue I will probably contact Roland to see if they'll replace mine.
MattG

Post by MattG »

My Roland FA-06 is doing this. I think it’s gotten louder over time. Not 100% sure. My JD-XI and JP-08 do not click. Here’s a video. Let me know if this is a similar sound to what you experienced.

https://youtu.be/qLZLSyA1Hk4
fasdfe

Post by fasdfe »

Read the chances which ought to take delivery of on the the front of the device. They will tell you the percentage payout, commonly between 70% and ninety%. In different phrases of sewing machine, they inform you on average how an awful lot you may lose for each £1 staked. If you want to play, play the ones with the great odds. High street amusement arcade machines typically pay out around 90% (now not certain what the % is in making a bet shops). Pubs are typically 70%-80%.