Selecting cutoff frequency range on Wheel 2

Forum for the JD-XA.
parfaitbeaucoup

Selecting cutoff frequency range on Wheel 2

Post by parfaitbeaucoup »

Hey there-

First post in the forums here and I've had this synth for almost a year now. I feel like I've barely scratched the surface.

On one of my lead patches I want to have Wheel 2 affect the cutoff frequency. So I can assign it to CC102 for the full range of the cutoff or CC103 for the fine adjustment.

Is there no way to get something in between? I'm an ableton user so I miss being able to assign the range of a knob. I don't need the full range because that renders the bottom half of the wheel practically useless if modulating the whole cutoff and the fine option is such a miniscule range that it's barely noticable in performance.

Hoping there's a way to assign Wheel 2 to the range of the upper half of the knob.

Let me know, and thanks a lot!

Devon
OneOfManyPauls

Re: Selecting cutoff frequency range on Wheel 2

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

It's not exactly what you want, but you could do this to control the amount of cutoff modulation:

hold SHIFT, move wheel 2, change cc to 03.

use MENU>TONE EDIT>MATRIX_CTRL to route Src=CC03 to Dest=CUTOFF and use Sens to control the amount.
Duplobaustein

Post by Duplobaustein »

I guess he wants to control the cutoff not the whole 100% but for example from 50% to 75%, so that when you put the wheel all the way down the filter is only half closed. I would also want this feature.
zombietactics

Post by zombietactics »

OneOfManyPauls wrote:It's not exactly what you want, but you could do this to control the amount of cutoff modulation:

hold SHIFT, move wheel 2, change cc to 03.

use MENU>TONE EDIT>MATRIX_CTRL to route Src=CC03 to Dest=CUTOFF and use Sens to control the amount.
This is actually brilliant. I am embarrassed to say I did not think of it myself.
OneOfManyPauls

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

I did post some notes about the modulation options in the "files" section of the jd-xa facebook group, but I've attached it to this in case you didn't see it there.
Attachments
JD-XA Modulation Options.pdf.zip
(442.88 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
zombietactics

Post by zombietactics »

... and i was so hoping you'd figured out a way to assign aftertouch to have the lfo mod OSC pitch ... sigh.
OneOfManyPauls

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

Other than mod lfo via the mod lever, I think the only other performance control over LFO with the digital parts is to use a pedal.

With cc set to 01, that makes the pedal act like the mod lever, introducing modulation as per the mod lfo settings for rate and depth

With cc set to 16/17/18 - that alters the LFO rate for partial 1/2/3.
parfaitbeaucoup

Post by parfaitbeaucoup »

Thanks for the responses! For some reason I had notifications turned off so I didn't even know. I appreciate the help and will give that workaround a shot ASAP. There's so much I don't know about this synth it's scary.

Perhaps someone could help me with my latest problem:

When Wheel 2 is assigned to CC74 or the like, why does it keep defaulting to a middle level when I switch to a different part? I'm working within the same program and I want to play the verse on D1, then switch to D2 for the chorus, but whenever I switch to D2 the Wheel 2 is defaulting to a lesser value (even when it's all the way up). This is super obnoxious because I'm trying to come in strong for the chorus but it ends up just being a filtered mess.

Thanks!