External controller?

Forum for the JD-XA.
TornadoTed

External controller?

Post by TornadoTed »

I have a JD-XA on order which is super exciting, I have had my eye on one since it's release and I finally have the funds and space to get one.

One question I had, is anyone using an external controller to access some of the menu functions, for example choosing the digital wave which I have read several times is a bit of a laborious task?

I was thinking of adding something small and cheap like maybe this http://www.faderfox.de/pc4.html
Duplobaustein

Re: External controller?

Post by Duplobaustein »

I don't think you will be able to choose from 400+ waves with a fader easily. ;)

Actually this is a thing a quite like so far. You can hit a note/chord, toggle through the waves and with every wave the note/chord gets retriggered. Like that you can listen to the waves pretty convenient, but for sure a data encoder would be nice.
TornadoTed

Post by TornadoTed »

Whoops, yes I juts noticed that the Faderfox has pots and not encoders.
OneOfManyPauls

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

If you're using the jd-xa in a studio and have it hooked up to a computer, the Memory Splice editor makes wave selection easy if you are happy to just select from a drop-down list.

http://memorysplice.com/jdxa/

the editor is very good at some things (especially the deep menu stuff like effects and the new arp editor) but currently lacks things you would likely expect if coming from something like the sound-tower editors for DSI or the sub 37 editor (eg no save/load/patch pull from jd-xa). More discussion about it in the FB jd-xa group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1405213 ... 586206003/
TornadoTed

Post by TornadoTed »

For the Memory Splice editor to change the PCM waveform it must send a CC or NRPN or something or am I getting that wrong? I have been through the MIDI Implementation manual and can't seem to find it. I have a BeatStep Pro that can send both CC's and NRPN's if I could just find out the numbers.

Anyone know?
OneOfManyPauls

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

Looking at the memory splice editor output, digital part wave selection is being done via sysex.
TornadoTed

Post by TornadoTed »

Thank you, seems it can't be done with a controller then. If it had been possible I'd have bought another Beatstep for £60 and dedicated it to the JDXA.

Looks like I'll be dropping $99 on Memory Splice.

Lets hope Roland give us a Shift + ? shortcut for selecting waves in the future as it is the most laborious every day function of an otherwise hands on instrument.
saturn

Post by saturn »

TornadoTed wrote:Lets hope Roland give us a Shift + ? shortcut for selecting waves in the future as it is the most laborious every day function of an otherwise hands on instrument.
i wouln't count on it. if roland would make an update to change things it would be like admitting a mistake.
and you know what samurais do in that case? XD
Duplobaustein

Post by Duplobaustein »

Ehhhhhh, there was something with an overlay, isn't it? ;)