Modulate noise level via LFO?

Forum for the JD-XA.

Modulate noise level via LFO?

Postby GilgaFrank » 22:52, 18 June 2017

Is there a way to route the LFO so it modulates AUX level for rhythmic white noise bursts? I do this all the time on the DSI Prophet 08 but there doesn't seem to be any way of getting the effect on the JD-XA.

https://soundcloud.com/gilgafrank/pe132
GilgaFrank

Re: Modulate noise level via LFO?

Postby saturn » 10:49, 19 June 2017

not in front of the jdxa, but it should be possible using the matrix and assign cc31 (aux mix) to an lfo.

if it's a monophonic sound just add another analog part layer with modulated noise only.
saturn

Postby GilgaFrank » 19:10, 19 June 2017

I shall try that right now and report back with my findings!
GilgaFrank

Postby GilgaFrank » 19:26, 19 June 2017

First option's a negative. The mod matrix will let me assign incoming CC21 to any of the normal destinations like resonance and cutoff but it doesn't allow routing LFO to MIDI CC numbers.

Using a monophonic patch and one analog part works but I really miss having the noise level as a modulation destination. The DSI Prophet does it just fine, even my dusty old Korg MS2000 has this as a virtual patch destination. Surprised the JD-XA can't do it on polyphonic patches.

EDIT: I knew there'd be a workaround! I used one of the digital parts set to waveform 362 (white noise) or 363 (pink noise). Much better than using an analog voice for this simple trick.
GilgaFrank

Postby OneOfManyPauls » 14:01, 23 June 2017

To be clear, in the end did you just use a second part (digital) set so that its LFO controls amp and then blend that cycling noise burst into the analog part via the AUX level?

@Saturn: other than the hard-wired LFO destinations (filter, osc pitch, amp, pw - and pan/mod lfo rate in digital) have you found any way to route any LFO to anywhere else as it's not a mod matrix source.
OneOfManyPauls

Postby saturn » 17:32, 23 June 2017

OneOfManyPauls wrote:@Saturn: other than the hard-wired LFO destinations (filter, osc pitch, amp, pw - and pan/mod lfo rate in digital) have you found any way to route any LFO to anywhere else as it's not a mod matrix source.

no i didn't
saturn

Postby GilgaFrank » 20:46, 23 June 2017

OneOfManyPauls wrote:To be clear, in the end did you just use a second part (digital) set so that its LFO controls amp and then blend that cycling noise burst into the analog part via the AUX level?

Yes, that's what I did. A digital part with a noise waveform routed through the analog filter.
GilgaFrank

Return to JD-XA Keyboard