Modulate noise level via LFO?

Forum for the JD-XA.
GilgaFrank

Modulate noise level via LFO?

Post by GilgaFrank »

Is there a way to route the LFO so it modulates AUX level for rhythmic white noise bursts? I do this all the time on the DSI Prophet 08 but there doesn't seem to be any way of getting the effect on the JD-XA.

https://soundcloud.com/gilgafrank/pe132
saturn

Re: Modulate noise level via LFO?

Post by saturn »

not in front of the jdxa, but it should be possible using the matrix and assign cc31 (aux mix) to an lfo.

if it's a monophonic sound just add another analog part layer with modulated noise only.
GilgaFrank

Post by GilgaFrank »

I shall try that right now and report back with my findings!
GilgaFrank

Post by GilgaFrank »

First option's a negative. The mod matrix will let me assign incoming CC21 to any of the normal destinations like resonance and cutoff but it doesn't allow routing LFO to MIDI CC numbers.

Using a monophonic patch and one analog part works but I really miss having the noise level as a modulation destination. The DSI Prophet does it just fine, even my dusty old Korg MS2000 has this as a virtual patch destination. Surprised the JD-XA can't do it on polyphonic patches.

EDIT: I knew there'd be a workaround! I used one of the digital parts set to waveform 362 (white noise) or 363 (pink noise). Much better than using an analog voice for this simple trick.
OneOfManyPauls

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

To be clear, in the end did you just use a second part (digital) set so that its LFO controls amp and then blend that cycling noise burst into the analog part via the AUX level?

@Saturn: other than the hard-wired LFO destinations (filter, osc pitch, amp, pw - and pan/mod lfo rate in digital) have you found any way to route any LFO to anywhere else as it's not a mod matrix source.
saturn

Post by saturn »

OneOfManyPauls wrote:@Saturn: other than the hard-wired LFO destinations (filter, osc pitch, amp, pw - and pan/mod lfo rate in digital) have you found any way to route any LFO to anywhere else as it's not a mod matrix source.
no i didn't
GilgaFrank

Post by GilgaFrank »

OneOfManyPauls wrote:To be clear, in the end did you just use a second part (digital) set so that its LFO controls amp and then blend that cycling noise burst into the analog part via the AUX level?
Yes, that's what I did. A digital part with a noise waveform routed through the analog filter.