Wooden End Cheeks

Forum for the JD-XA.
Jdoo

Re: Wooden End Cheeks

Post by Jdoo »

CesarsoundOne wrote:Well done, good job. How did you cut them? It is an electrical jigsaw tool? Thanks.
I used a bandsaw for roughcutting, but that could easily be done with a jigsaw.. The first two I did, I didn't use a sander... instead, cutting on/close to the line - then just manually sanding. When I was doing these last few - I pulled out a sander, to get more accurate, and speed things along. To your question though -- a jigsaw would work fine, as would manually sanding.
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

Well.. My limited run was done. I sent sets to Cello, Venn, Jeff, and a couple of other folks. They posted pics up on the FaceBook page. Nearly everyone I gave a set to.. lives in the UK or Canada. Shipping was ~ $25 / set (International shipping these things from California). I had some more requests.. so I'm going to make a few sets. If anyone has interest - please PM me. Shipping these internationally (well... at least the UK / Canada) is around $25. $40 + shipping (whatever that is). Hickory end pieces, with double-sided tape attached. Buyer, will have to open their JD-XA... at their own risk, to install em. None of the five of us who got the initial batch wrecked their 'XA though.

PM requests only, please.
nervewar

Post by nervewar »

How much would you charge to make me a set of these? It's beautiful. I have some woodworking skills, however I don't have access to any tools or a place to do anything any more.

Serious question, I'd be interested in paying you for a set (if the price is right).

Cheers and great work!
Jdoo wrote:..the easy way..

I had some extra hardwood flooring material laying around... thought I would tackle creating end cheeks today. The hardwood ( Somerset Wide Plank - Hickory Saddle), was maybe an 1/8" prouder than the plastic end pieces... so it sits pretty nicely. I'll probably secure them with double-sided tape, but cut them so they fit pretty tight. It's Hickory, not walnut, but was the right thickness, and looks better than the shiny red bits (to me). You can see the hardwood floor (it's what is in my studio) under my stand..

The existing plastic end pieces come off with three screws (from the inside). There are other posts, and even a video, showing pulling it apart. Took about 10 minutes to pull off the existing bits, and about 10 minutes to cut up these end cheeks. 30 minute job. Had some great tips from Ed Lewis, on the 'XA Facebook page too.

Pic:
hwendcheeks.JPG
HenrikErlandsson

Post by HenrikErlandsson »

Bookmarked for if mine break off, I actually love the original red ones :) but if they go I will do the hipster conversion. ;)
neil patel

Post by neil patel »

Jigsaw tool is really awesome for wood cutting. I have been used it since 2017.