Play one program after another like on JD-Xi?

Forum for the JD-XA.
HenrikErlandsson

Play one program after another like on JD-Xi?

Post by HenrikErlandsson »

I.e. Program Select, Bank, A, 01, play. Two seconds later, press some button to queue another program, like A02.

This is possible on the JD-Xi, which makes it possible to make more than a 'beat', a whole song, in fact.

Possible on the JD-Xa?
OneOfManyPauls

Re: Play one program after another like on JD-Xi?

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

I don't think that's possible on the jd-xa as designed, but maybe someone has come up with a workaround.

The jd-xa isn't a big jd-xi, they have different focuses. The jd-xi seems to be more of a modern day all-in-one mc-x0x style groovebox, whereas the jd-xa is more synthesizer orientated.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Unfortunately not on the JD-XA, and I can't see it being added. Get an external sequencer! My Synthstrom deluge paired with the JD-XA is just ultimate fun! Sequencing loads of different riffs across 8 channels like a live midi looper. Heaven :D
HenrikErlandsson

Post by HenrikErlandsson »

Just seems a strange omission. They'd get much more impressive Youtube videos from users.

JD-Xa and JD-Xi are very similar in that it's SuperNatural+analog, and you can press Play to stop a program, then quickly press next program and play. The sequencer is also similar.

It just seems a strange omission in the JD-Xa, like the lack of count-in on the JD-Xi.

Do Roland listen to user feature requests? Is there a way to contact them? I think it would be good for their reputation to make a few of the smaller changes requested, at least.

They make a lot of products. But many are simpler, users of say audio interfaces, pedals, and digital pianos will probably be a different category than us synthesists and not request much, and there wouldn't be many changes in the way of usage. But we know a lot and so detect missing features that Roland should probably have thought of.

Else we who buy their flagship products will learn to look out very carefully for which missing feature will turn us off next time, and that will kill the hype of the product.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Do Roland listen to user feature requests? Is there a way to contact them? I think it would be good for their reputation to make a few of the smaller changes requested, at least.
Not really. The people they listen to are their endorsed artists, not us plebs! I believe many people have complained or asked about the sequencer having pattern chaining. Even a petition about it lol. I think the punch in the gut for us JD-XA users was when that JD-Xi update came out we were all thinking, sweet, JD-XA next... but nope. In fact looking back at history Roland often mess up on their flagship devices - the VG-99 was the flagship Guitar COSM/Midi unit, and is still the most powerful unit on the planet to this day for it, but after it came out they put zero attention into it, no public support or channels, and discontinued it about 5 years ago. It's still technically the flagship device, but discontinued. Great work Roland... lol!

I've always been one to suspect that the JD-Xi and JD-XA run the same chip, except the JD-XA is maxed out processor wise and the JD-Xi underused, so adding to the JD-Xi was probably easy, but the JD-XA prob can't take any more. Who really knows eh? But it makes no sense. As I said, when I got myself an external sequencer I loved my JD-XA 100x more - it just became so much more powerful!