Huge volume increase with digital part when using poly stack

Forum for the JD-XA.
DJ_ROBONAUT

Huge volume increase with digital part when using poly stack

Post by DJ_ROBONAUT »

I recently purchased a JD-XA and I'm not sure if this is a limitation of the engine, something I'm doing wrong, or an actual defect with my synth.

I'm trying to using the digital part has a sub oscillator for the analog part. So, I set things up so that the digital part is just a single partial with a square wave oscillator. I then select the analog part and make sure that the AUX section in the mixer is set to "Digital Part".

Everything works fine if I play monophonically. However, when I turn on "Poly Stack", I get MASSIVE increases in volume if I play more than one note.

Here's a link to an audio example.
https://soundcloud.com/robonaut-1/rolan ... ck-issue-1

I have the two analog oscillators turned off so you can just hear the square wave from the digital part. First, I play three notes with "Poly Stack" turned off. Then I play the same three notes with "Poly Stack" turned on. As you should be able to hear, the first note sounds pretty much the same between the two, but when I play the second and third notes, the volume LEAPS up.

I have been playing around with various settings for about two hours and have *not* been able to figure this out.

All of the effect sends are turned off. Drive is off. I played around with the various levels in the parts and amp, but that didn't seem to change anything.

Any suggestions as to what may be causing this? I can try and provide a copy of the patch I'm using, if that would help.
DJ_ROBONAUT

Re: Huge volume increase with digital part when using poly s

Post by DJ_ROBONAUT »

Preset J14 "Wurl Tine" seems to be one of the few that routes the digital part through the analog filter.

If I go to that patch, turn down analog oscillator 1 & 2, and turn up the AUX in the mixer, I get the same behavior as I do with my custom patch.

Could someone check on their JD-XA and let me know if they get the same thing?
Duplobaustein

Post by Duplobaustein »

Yes I can confirm. Very strange.
OneOfManyPauls

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

there is a clear bump in level when just using analog in poly-stack and adding notes, and there is smaller bump in level when introducing a digital poly chord to a mono analog part.

add that together for each additional note, and it makes sense that the level jumps like it does.

Have to manage the digital part distorting too:
MEMO If D-PART is selected as AUX Src, some sounds may be prone to clipping. If clipping occurs, adjust the AUX Level.