Remote keyboard turns off clock slave

Forum for the JD-XA.
mdorren

Remote keyboard turns off clock slave

Post by mdorren »

My clock slave setting on the JD is nullified when I turn remote keyboard on. If midi clock is set to master or remote it works but won't sync to my master clock. Can anyone verify this? Thanks
Marty
mdorren

Re: Remote keyboard turns off clock slave

Post by mdorren »

bump

so... NOBODY uses a remote keyboard via the 5 pin din while the jd-xa is clock slaved? Not a typical scenario, but not completely unique either. :)
studio460

Post by studio460 »

First—I do NOT have an answer to your question—sorry. If I understood you correctly, we are about to have the same problem—I'm about to purchase a JD-XA myself, and I'll be using Apple Logic Pro X as the master MIDI-clock. I've had a similar problem trying to supply an external MIDI-clock to my Korg Radias: As soon as I set the Radias to external, all of the built-in arps were rendered arp-less. I never figured out how to solve this problem.

A couple of anecdotes: So, I have a new Yamaha Montage, and once I set it to EXT and USB, all of its internal arps continued to work, and it was master-MIDI'd to Logic (i.e., when I play the timeline in Logic, the Montage spontaneously changes its tempo to match Logic's). Great!

Now, I did the same thing on my Korg Kronos—set MIDI to external, and told the Kronos I was sending MIDI over USB. And, whamo—none of the internal arps worked. I switched the Kronos' setting to MIDI (rather than USB), and stuck a five-pin DIN into the Kronos' MIDI-in, and voila! Internal arps worked, and the Kronos was MIDI-slaved to Logic. Go figure.

I assume you've already tried setting the JD-XA's MIDI clock to EXTERNAL, and selected either USB or MIDI to tell the JD-XA where you're receiving the MIDI-clock signal. If you did that and tried supplying MIDI via five-pin DIN, and also tried supplying it via USB, and neither worked, then we have a problem. Once I get mine, and if I run into the same roadblock, I'll seek help from Roland's official tech support portals and report back here (and vice-versa, if you've already resolved this issue, please share it here!).

I think the lack of replies (frustrating, I know) may be due to the fact that many JD-XA owners only have one synth? Perhaps, many are all-hardware, and don't connect to a DAW (where the DAW is typically set as the master MIDI-clock)? And even fewer connect a separate MIDI-controller? I don't know. Also, for whatever reason, this board simply doesn't garner a lot of traffic. Fingers-crossed . . .
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

I use my JD-XA with local keyboard on, with slave clocked and triggering from my Synthstrom Deluge in a closed midi loop and it works fine. Midi thru on JD-XA set to off, so when I play the keys it transmits the sound to the deluge to repeat it over and over, but I don't get the nasty looping as the JD-XA gates the message. I can also play the JD-XA from the Deluge directly.

Is this kinda the control you want on the JD-XA (local and remote control via midi?) What is it you are trying to do exactly? Whats your setup?
studio460

Post by studio460 »

I found a possible "solution" in an older post. Rather than tag onto this thread, I began a more on-topic thread here: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=54922&p=307753#p307753