Brand new JD-XAs scratched?

Forum for the JD-XA.
studio460

Brand new JD-XAs scratched?

Post by studio460 »

I just bought a brand new JD-XA from a reputable dealer. The box was factory-sealed. When I opened it, there were about four areas affected by fine scratches on the plastic main-panel. About 50 micro-scratches and a greasy fingerprint right next to the mod-wheel (below), and a matching set on the right side of the panel (as if someone picked up the synth and set their thumbs on either side of the main panel and ground-in some grit into the plastic).

These do NOT buff-out. I didn't try using a plastics polish, but I went over the scratches with a soft cotton T-shirt and non-ammonia glass cleaner with some effort with no improvement. Also, there were some scratches near two of the pots, as if someone were tweaking the knobs and abraded the surface with their fingers while turning them. WTF? Did everyone's new JD-XA arrive from the factory with random scratches? (I know Roland will send you the matte-panel if requested).

I just dropped it off at UPS to send it back for a full-refund. Now, I'm afraid the next one I order will be the same or worse!
cello

Re: Brand new JD-XAs scratched?

Post by cello »

Mine certainly didn't arrive like that! In fact I got two XAs when it was released and they were both flawless. I suspect that the unit you have got is not brand new as I can't see it coming out of the factory looking like - wouldn't pass final inspection(s)...
studio460

Re: Brand new JD-XAs scratched?

Post by studio460 »

Thanks for your reply, cello! Yes, I know—I was very surprised to see such obvious damage since in my experience Japanese QA tends to be flawless (e.g., Nikon, Yamaha, Roland, etc.). The box was clearly factory-sealed with no apparent damage/re-sealing of the original packing tape—all shipping labels from the trans-ship company to the dealer were intact. Good to know that mine was the exception (though, the plastic control-surfaces do appear to be exceedingly easy to scratch!).

I'm just about to order my second one, and was even thinking of using a different vendor (with perhaps more-recent stock and/or manufactured on a different shift). Can't wait to get this gorgeous-sounding monster of a synth (again)!